Gerard Pique admits Barca's loss to Liverpool was due to nightmare experienced in Rome

Gerard Pique admits Barca's loss to Liverpool was due to nightmare experienced in Rome

- Gerard Pique has spoken out for the first time after Champions League loss to Liverpool

- The English side overturned a three-goal first leg defeat at Camp Nou to win 4-0 at Anfield

- Pique said it will take Barcelona years to recover for defeat which saw them crashing out

Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has insisted that his teammates have found it difficult to overcome the 2017-18 Champions League quarter final 3-0 loss to Roma.

The Spanish champions suffered from a mental block during the 4-0 defeat to Liverpool which knocked them out of the elite competition.

And defender who has won the competition three time since returning to Camp Nou has described the second leg defeat to the Reds as a nightmare that will take years to get over.

READ ALSO: Cristiano Ronaldo visits F1 driver Lewis Hamilton ahead of Monaco Grand Prix

"You could see that the team just wasn't functioning, they were putting us under pressure and what had happened last year(against Roma) was very present in our minds," Pique said in an interview with Spanish newspaper El Pais published on Friday.

"I'm sure it was a mental block, but we also didn't play good football. We lacked everything. They pressed us very high, they were very intense, and Anfield also played its role. We just couldn't cope, sometimes it happens."

La Blaugrana are looking to complete a season double as they take on Valencia in the Copa del Rey final this weekend.

However, Barca's failure to win what Lionel Messi called "that beautiful and desired trophy" has also had a terrible impact on the team.

Pique said his team mates had a sense of deja vu during the game at Anfield, which caught them unawares at the Stadio Olimpico last year.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng

"I think on a mental level some of us were affected by what had happened in Rome, it was so recent. The first goal came very quickly, and suddenly the image of Rome appeared," Pique said, recalling Sadio Mane's goal in the 15th minute at Anfield.

"Then they scored two more goals in quick succession and it starts to look too similar to what happened a year ago. It was very tough, it has been very difficult to pull ourselves back up because the days go by and you can't forget this defeat.

"It's a slip up which is going to last a long time, but we need to take a step forward," Pique added.

"We cannot keep torturing ourselves. It was a nightmare and we have to deal with it because it could happen again.Barcelona defender.

"But we have to understand why it happened and let it help us in the future because we want to lift the Champions League again."

PAY ATTENTION: Install Pitch Football App for FREE to get the latest football News & Scores

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had earlier reported that the 2019 Ballon d'Or could produce another winner without Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Juventus' Cristiano Ronaldo.

Luka Modric scooped the award in 2018 after he played a major role with Real Madrid who won the Champions League last season and Croatia who finished as runners-up in last summer's World Cup.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better.

11 years childless, Ex-Super Eagles goalkeeper Idah Peterside shares his story | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel