Three Nigerians who conspired to transport firearms and dr*gs into the UK through Eurotunnel have been sentenced to 40 years imprisonment.
According to Metropolitan Police, Woolwich Crown Court sentenced Kennedy Udo 28, to eight years and six months on Friday, May 17, after he was found guilty of the conspiracy to supply dr*gs and the importation of banned goods.
Micheal Mgbedike (22) was also found guilty of the charge to supply class A dr*gs and sentenced to eight years.
Earlier on Friday, September 7, 2018, Emmanuel Okubote (27) was found guilty of the charge to supply firearms with the intention to endanger life, possession of ammunition and the supply of class A dr*gs, and was sentenced to 23.5 years on Friday, November 9, 2018.
Udo and Mgbedike were both arrested following the proactive operation by the Trident and Area Crime Command in collaboration with Border Force on Saturday, August, 2017.
Detectives also said that the men had made several trips to Amsterdam via Eurotunnel, between July and August 2017 as it is believed that at least three importations of banned firearms took place.
Ookubote was said to be the mastermind of the whole conspiracy, recruiting people who have no criminal records to work with him.
“This conviction demonstrates the close working partnership between Trident, Border Force and the Crown Prosecution Service in pursuit of the country’s most dangerous criminals.
"Emmanuel Okubote, along with Michael Mgbedike and Kennedy Udo were intent on importing loaded firearms and dr*gs through the UK’s borders, bringing misery to the communities that we serve.
“The collaborative work between agencies, as well as between different departments and experts within the Met, has undoubtedly saved lives. This demonstrates that law enforcement agencies will relentlessly pursue those who carry, and those who facilitate the movement of firearms and dr*gs into and within the UK,” Sarah Smart of Trident operation said.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng earlier reported that Abike Dabiri who is the chairman of the National Diaspora Commission said that eight Nigerians were executed by the Saudi Arabian government over drug-related offences.
It was also gathered that Dabiri revealed this on Tuesday, April 2 at the State House while also speaking about the execution of a Nigerian woman in the same country for drug trafficking.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better
BUSTED: Police CP seizes, burns N450m worth of hard dr*gs| Legit TV