Ex-NNPC GMD Andrew Yakubu has a case to answer - Court declares

Ex-NNPC GMD Andrew Yakubu has a case to answer - Court declares

- Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court, Abuja says Andrew Yakubu has a case to answer

- The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja asks Yakubu to open his defence in the alleged corruption case against him

- The EFCC had adjourned the matter to July 3, 2019, for the defence to open its case

Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court, Abuja, on Thursday, May 16, ordered Andrew Yakubu, a former Group Managing Director (GMD) of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), to open his defence.

The court fixed the opening of defence on July 3, 2019, in the $9.8 million fraud allegation brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The EFCC said Yakubu had through his counsel, Ahmed Raji, filed a no-case submission on December 5, 2018, arguing that the evidence led by the prosecution’s seven witnesses did not establish a case against him, and so the charges should be dismissed.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

In a statement obtained by Legit.ng, the EFCC had through its counsel, MS Abubakar, filed a reply dated January 15, 2019 arguing that a prima facie case had been established against Yakubu, and that there were grounds to proceed with his trial.

It was learnt that the EFCC had on, October 17, 2018, closed its case against him, after calling the seventh witness, Suleiman Mohammed, an operative with the commission, who testified as to how operatives on February 3, 2017 recovered $9,772,000 and £74,000 stashed in a huge fire proof safe in a building belonging to him located at Sabon Tasha area of Kaduna state.

The EFCC said a 32GB memory card and two mini discs, which contained the recording of the raid, were also admitted in evidence by the court.

“I agree with the defence counsel that the prosecution has failed to prove the essential element of transportation of money on counts five and six.

“I accordingly discharge the defendant on counts five and six.

“Even though I am tempted to discharge the defendant on counts one to four, I am however constrained to ask the defendant to explain how he came about the monies recovered from his house.

“Fortified with my position, the defendant is hereby ordered to enter his defence in respect of counts one to four," Justice Mohammed had ruled in a no-case submission on May 16, 2019.

The judge, thereafter, adjourned the matter to July 3, 2019, for the defence to open its case on the alleged failure to make full disclosure of assets and reportedly receiving cash without a financial institution.

READ ALSO: Alleged coup: Buhari plotting to jail me - Atiku raises serious allegation

The offence allegedly committed under section 1 of the money laundering (prohibition) act, 2011 as amended in 2012.

Legit.ng earlier reported that the NNPC recently clarified that there was no discrimination in the various requirements in the corporation’s recruitment process.

Ndu Ughamadu, the NNPC group general manager, group public affairs division disclosed this on Monday, April 1.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

Nigerian women protest against harassment of ladies in Abuja | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel