Coup against Buhari? DHQ says military not part of it

Coup against Buhari? DHQ says military not part of it

- The Defence Headquarters has accused Nigerian Continuity and Progress of planning to overthrow President Buhari

- According to DHQ, the plan was to set up an interim government in place of the elected government

- The Armed Forces of Nigeria disassociated itself from the plan, saying it remains unflinchingly loyal to the Constitution, as well as President Buhari

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) on Tuesday, May 14, dissociated the Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) from a document calling for the overthrow of the Muhammadu Buhari's democratically-elected administration.

Navy Capt. Muhammed Wabi, deputy director of Defence Information accused a group, “Nigerian Continuity and Progress (NCP)’’ as being behind the document, News Agency of Nigeria reports.

Wabi alleged that the document called for the setting up of an “interim government’’ in place of the elected government.

READ ALSO: Buhari must not be sworn-in on May 29 - Opposition party tells tribunal

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) wishes to dissociate itself from the rascality and intentions as espoused in a document being circulated by a faceless group named Nigerian Continuity and Progress (NCP) calling for support of a revolution to oust the current democratically elected government and in its place establish an illegitimate interim government.

“The AFN outrightly condemns the undemocratic and demonic actions of the author of the document.

“Accordingly, members of the public are enjoined to discountenance the content of the documents being circulated by NCP and equally condemned in totality, the call to derail our hard earned democracy,’’ the statement said.

Wabi said that the AFN was “very mindful of its constitutional responsibilities’’ and would not be misled into any act that would undermine democracy as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution as amended.

The AFN remains unflinchingly loyal to the Constitution, as well as President Muhammadu Buhari and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria."

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update

The statement said all relevant law enforcement agencies had been advised to unravel those behind the seditious document for appropriate actions.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that one of the parties that contested Saturday, February 23 presidential election, Hope Democratic Party (HDP), has filed a motion seeking an order for the election tribunal to restrain President Buhari from presenting himself to be sworn-in on May 29.

The party is also seeking an order restraining the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN) from swearing-in, administering the oath of office and oath of allegiance to the president on May 29.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Is Nigeria truly the 6th most miserable country in the world? | Legit TV.

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel