Editor's note: Ramadan is the most precious month in the Islamic calendar (Hijri) and it is obligatory for the Muslims to fast in this holy month.
In this Ramadan lecture, Legit.ng examines what Islam says about eating or drinking out of forgetfulness while fasting. In the name of Allah, The most beneficent, the most merciful, whoever Allah guides, no one can lead him astray and whoever Allah sends astray, no one can guide him.
Verily the best of speech is the Book of Allah (Qur’an) and the best guidance is the guidance of Prophet Muhammad (May Allah give him peace and bless him), and the most evil matters are those that are newly invented, for every newly invented matter is an innovation and every innovation is misguidance and every misguidance is in the Hell fire. May Allah save us from the torment of Hell fire, (Aameen).
Ramadan is a time of spiritual reflection, improvement and increased devotion and worship. Muslims are expected to put more effort into following the teachings of Islam.
Here are some interesting facts that show the importance of Ramadan in Islam:
1. Holy Qur'an was first revealed in the month of Ramadan.
2. Fasting in the month of Ramadan is the fourth pillar of Islam among the five.
3. Fasting helps to attain Taqwa (performing of actions which please Allah and abstaining from those actions that displease Him).
4. Ramadan is known to be the month of Qur'an. It is highly recommended in the Ramadan to read and study the Holy Qur'an and to share with others.
5. The night of decree or the night of power (Laylat al-Qadr ) is in this month, which is better than a thousand months.
6. In this Holy month, the gates of paradise are opened, gates of Hell are closed and the devils are chained up.
7. Umra’h (shorter/minor pilgrimage) in Ramadan is equivalent to Hajj (major pilgrimage).
8. Muslims observe I’tikaaf (residing in the mosque for worship) in the Ramadan especially in the last 10 days of this Holy month.
9. It is very rewarding act in Ramadan to offer Iftaar (sunset meal to break fast) to those who are fasting.
10. It is also highly recommended to give Zakat (obligatory tax/donation – 2.5% of wealth/savings/assets) and Sadaqah (voluntary charity) in the Ramadan.
11. It is said in an authentic Hadith of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) that fasting in the Ramadan sincerely out of faith and in the hope of reward, people will be forgiven all our previous sins, provided the major sins are not committed.
The evidence of Ramadan in the Qur'an
''The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur’an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey – then an equal number of other days.
''Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful.'' (Quran 2:185)
''Indeed, We sent the Qur’an down during the night of decree. And what can make you know what is the Night of Decree? The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months. The angels and the Spirit descend therein by permission of their Lord for every matter. Peace it is until the emergence of dawn.'' (Quran 97:1-5)
The evidence of Ramadan in the Hadeeth
It was narrated that Abu Hurairah said: “The Messenger of Allah said: ‘Whoever fasts Ramadan out of faith and in the hope of reward, he will be forgiven his previous sins.” (Sunan an-Nasa’i Book-22 Hadith-116).
Narrated Abu Huraira: ''I heard Allah’s Messenger saying regarding Ramadan, “Whoever prayed at night in it (the month of Ramadan) out of sincere Faith and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his previous sins will be forgiven.” (Sahih al-Bukhari Book-31 Hadith-1)
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that examined what Islam says about eating or drinking out of forgetfulness while fasting.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
Market Survey: How Ramadan is affecting prices of fruits in the market - on Legit.ng TV