Onnoghen: Court strikes out appeal against CCT judgement

Onnoghen: Court strikes out appeal against CCT judgement

- The Court of Appeal has struck out an appeal by former CJN Wlater Onnoghen against the CCT's judgment on his false asset declaration matter

- Court of Appeal said the case had been concluded by the CCT, which ended in the ex-CJN’s conviction on charges of false and non-declaration of assets

- The court however ruled that the CCT's ex parte order breached the former CJN’s right to fair hearing

A Court of Appeal in Abuja on Friday, May 10, struck out an appeal filed by a former chief justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, on the judgement delivered by the Code of Conduct Tribunal against his asset declaration.

Justice Onnoghen had in his appeal challenged an ex parte order of the CCT Tribunal issued on January 23, 2019, for his suspension from office pending his trial before the tribunal.

The Appeal court in its ruling said that the substantive matter on Onnoghen's asset declaration case had been concluded by the CCT, which ended in the ex-CJN’s conviction on charges of false and non-declaration of assets.

READ ALSO: My Senate president ambition originated from my PDP, APC colleagues - Lawan

The Court of Appeal in a unanimous judgement led by Justice Stephen Adah, ruled that the CCT's ex parte order breached the ex-CJN’s right to fair hearing.

reading the judgement, Adah said the court proceedings ought not to be conducted “in a shady or clandestine maneuver” as manner in which the ex parte order was obtained by the prosecution.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the National Judicial Council (NJC) recently recommended the retirement of Walter Onnoghen, the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, to President Muhammadu Buhari.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

The council after a deliberation on Wednesday, April 3, unanimously reached an agreement that Onnoghen be retired over petitions filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Also, a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has reportedly summoned President Muhammadu Buhari, the acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Tanko Muhammad, and others to appear over the removal of Walter Onnoghen as the head of the judiciary.

Justice Inyang Ekwo also directed members of the Federal Judicial Service Commission (FJSC), the federal government, the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), and the Senate to appear and show reason why they should not be restrained from initiating the confirmation of Justice Tanko Muhammad as substantive CJN should not be made.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

When last did you have light in your area? | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel