Ngige denies inviting thugs to manhandle workers during protest in Abuja

Ngige denies inviting thugs to manhandle workers during protest in Abuja

- The minister of labour and employment Chris Ngige has denied involvement in the treatment meted to workers during a protest in Abuja

- The minister said he never invited thugs who manhandled protesting workers who blocked the entrance to his residence in Abuja on Wednesday, May 8

- Ngige said himself and members of his family are in shock over the protest by the workers at his residence

Senator Chris Ngige, minister of labour and employment has denied inviting thugs to manhandle protesting workers who blocked the entrance to his residence in Abuja on Wednesday, May 8.

Ngige stated this in a statement by Nwachukwu Obidiwe, his special assistant on media.

It would be recalled that the NLC had in the early hours of Wednesday, May 8, blocked the entrance to the Asokoro private resident of the minister with two fuel tanks.

During the protest, a group of thugs attacked workers with sticks and stones, and chased them away from the minister’s residence.

“The private residence of the minister of Labour was early this morning (4 a.m.) invaded by the President of the Nigerian Labour Congress, Comrade Ayuba Wabba and his members.

“These members among whom are tanker drivers, some with ferocious looks, also barricaded the gate to the resident of the minister with two long trucks.

READ ALSO: Buhari seeks to dismiss Atiku’s petition at election tribunal

“They chanted war songs and prevented the Hon. Minister, his wife, children and other aides from either leaving or gaining access to the compound.

“Comrade Waba later left and returned with re-enforcement .

“The presence of these strange faces and mounting war songs sent heavy panic on the family members, especially children and female aides who thought the sudden early morning assemblage were of the underworld.

“Some of these unknown faces and the two tanker lorries blocking the entrance to the house are still there as I send this press statement.

“I therefore wish to state that contrary to reports being mischievously circulated in the media by the NLC President that the minister and is family who are in trauma did not invite thugs.

“He have no knowledge of it, or have a hand in the alleged manhandling of any worker,‘’ he said.

NLC had given the minister an ultimatum to inaugurate the board of the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund with Chief Frank Kokori as the chairman.

The union claimed Ngige was responsible for the change of the appointment of Kokori to chair the labour institute in Ilorin.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

That ultimatum, which expired on May 1, led to the Wednesday protest by labour in Abuja.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) on Wednesday, May 8, blocked the residence of the country's labour and productivity minister, Chris Ngige, in the Asokoro area of Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.

The NLC took the action over the alleged failure of the minister to swear in Frank Kokori as the board chairman of the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF).

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

Nigerian women protest against harassment of ladies in Abuja | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel