DHQ denies systematic retirement of over 200 officers

DHQ denies systematic retirement of over 200 officers

- The Nigerian Military has denied reports of retiring, posting and redeployment of over 200 officers who are Christians

- The DHQ said it is dismayed over a mischievous and systematic campaign of calumny against the government through spurious and unfounded allegations

- According to DHQ, Military personnel often retire based on age on rank or length of service and never in a shady approach by the Forces

The Defence Headquarters on Tuesday, May 7, denied report that the Nigerian military secretly retired over 200 Christian officer from the force.

DHQ in a statement signed by the acting director of defence information, Onyema Nwachukwu, said the Military is dismayed over a mischievous and systematic campaign of calumny against the government through spurious and unfounded allegations.

A blog, SK Blog had published a report alleging that the Nigeria Army in a systemic approach approved a lopsided posting, recruitment, appointments and retirements of military personnel by the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

However, Nwachukwu said following the report by the blog, it is imperative for the Military to correct the erroneous impression being created in the mind of some members of the public.

Noting that postings, appointments and retirements in the military are routine activities and common public knowledge, Nwachukwu said that, every officer, soldier, rating, airman or woman on commission or enlistment into the services look forward to an exciting, adventurous and rewarding career in the Armed Forces.

READ ALSO: I know what to do, I'll not fail Nigerians - Buhari vows

He also said that officers, soldiers, ratings, airmen and women are not only conscious of this but look forward to it.

Nwachukwu said Military personnel often retire based on age on rank or length of service and never in a shady approach by the Forces.

"In the event of approaching retirement, the affected person or persons are given adequate notice and also prepared for life after Service through training programmes at either the Nigerian Army Resource Centre, or Nigerian Armed Forces Resettlement Centre, Oshodi," Nwachukwu said.

He further said it is irresponsible for anyone to allege that such exercises were targeted at a particular ethnic group or religion.

"Similarly, recruitment and enlistment into the Armed Forces of Nigeria have always been made known to the public and follows transparent and well known procedures that are in line with best practices.

"We expected the writer to make effort of finding out the truth before misleading unsuspecting members of the public through such publication.

He also denied an allegation of "unease and disquiet in the military formation" while urging the general public to disregard such insinuations as there are proper career plan and progression in the military.

Nwachukwu said: "Therefore, there is no such thing like premature retirement or deliberate attempt to cleanse a particular ethnic or religious group in any of the services."

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman, the director of Army Public Relations, will finally be retiring after over 30 years in active service serving Nigeria.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

Usman is rated as one of the very best spokespersons the Army has had in recent times. Usman announced this in a statement informing Nigerians that he would proceed on a terminal leave on February 8, 2019 leading to the end of his service to the country.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng News

Mailfire view pixel