UTME 2019: 5 convicted of exam fraud, face up to 2 years in prison

UTME 2019: 5 convicted of exam fraud, face up to 2 years in prison

- JAMB said it has secured conviction of five persons involved in examination fraud during the just concluded 2019 UTME

- The examination board said they are expected to serve between three months and two years jail term

- Three of the suspects were convicted in Zamfara state and two in Kebbi state

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) on Sunday, May 5, said it had secured conviction of five persons who were involved in examination fraud and malpractice during the 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

The five persons were among the 100 suspects arrested by security operatives nationwide during the UTME last month, The Nation reports.

They are expected to serve between three months and two years jail term.

According to the examination board, three of the suspects were convicted in Zamfara state and two in Kebbi state.

READ ALSO: Buhari makes first statement as he lands Abuja from London

It disclosed this in its weekly bulletin released by its Head of Information, Dr Fabian Benjamin, to reporters in Abuja.

He said with the conviction of the suspects, it was clear to all that the judiciary was not what Nigerians “erroneously thought it is.”

Benjamin said the convictions are part of the registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede’s determination to stamp out corruption and all crimes associated with examination malpractice.

“Five persons who were involved in one form of exam malpractice in the just concluded 2019 UTME have been convicted. As of Sunday, three suspects from Zamfara state and two from Kebbi have been convicted of periods of three months to two years.

”No fewer than 123 suspects are standing trial in various courts on one form of infraction or the other. With the conviction of the five suspects, the board urges the judiciary to continue on this path and to ensure that all suspects arraigned with sufficient facts are convicted,” he said.

Benjamin added that the board has put an end to all forms of lip service in the fight against examination malpractice.

He said: ”With this conviction, the board has put to end all lip service in the fight against examination malpractice. The four-decade examination body is not joking in her avowed commitment to put behind bars the unscrupulous elements that are trying to circumvent the process of conducting credible examination in line with best global practices.

“The public are enjoined to join hands with JAMB to sustain the restored glory and strengthen the board’s fight against infractions and lay solid foundation for tertiary education in Nigeria through fielding competent hands that will nurture the economy.”

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that JAMB said it had begun the biometric verification of the 1.8 million candidates that sat for the 2019 UTME.

Prof. Oloyede confirmed the development saying the examination board was crosschecking everything about the examination including the biometrics.

He said: “We are cross-checking everything, including fingers. If you know that you have about 1.8 candidates multiplied by ten that is the figure we are talking about."

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

Nigerians express mixed feelings as JAMB reduces admission cut-off to 120 | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel