Army confirms 5 soldiers dead as troops foil Boko Haram attempt on Magumeri

Army confirms 5 soldiers dead as troops foil Boko Haram attempt on Magumeri

- Nigerian Army says some soldiers were killed in a gallant effort at preventing Boko Haram insurgents from taking Magumeri town in Borno state

- The soldiers died in a fierce gun duel with the insurgents who lost several of their fighters on Friday, May 3

- Colonel Idima says the attack happened because the practically defeated insurgents tried to raid the town for food and supplies

The Nigerian Army has confirmed five soldiers dead and several insurgents killed as gallant troops repelled an attack by Boko Haram insurgents on Magumeri area of Borno state.

Army's deputy spokesman Colonel Ezindu Idima made the confirmation in a statement on Sunday, May 5.

According to him, the soldiers paid the supreme price after troops of Sector 3 of the Operation Lafiya Dole deployed at Forward Operation Base (FOB) Magumeri got into a fierce encounter with Boko Haram Terrorists on the 3rd of May 2019.

READ ALSO: Senate president aspirant woos opposition lawmakers with multi-million naira projects

He said: "The criminals came in numbers to infiltrate Magumeri village in order to loot food items and other valuables. The indefatigable troops effectively thwarted the terrorists' plan through superior fire power.

"During the encounter, the gallant troops exterminated scores of the insurgents and many escaped with gunshot wounds. A pursuit/ clearance operation has been sustained to deal with the remaining fleeing criminals."

Idima explained that the attack on Magumeri was because the insurgents were forced to resort to looting vulnerable communities and villages for food stuffs and other necessities.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

This, he said, followed the denial of the terrorists freedom of action and access to foodstuffs and other logistics by Multi National Joint Task Force's Operation Yacin Tafki which was launched in February.

Idima said the Commander Sector 3 Operation LAFIYA DOLE Major General Olufemi Akinjobi has on behalf of the Chief of Army Staff Tukur Buratai commended the troops for their gallantry, resilience and patriotism.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android and read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

He also charged them to maintain the momentum and the successes achieved so far to ensure the final defeat of the terrorists.

In a similar vein, Legit.ng reported that about 15 soldiers were reportedly killed by suspected Boko Haram terrorists in an attack on a military base in Borno state, security sources said on Saturday, May 4.

The insurgents rode into Magumeri local government area at about 6pm on Friday, May 3, and sacked a brigade there.

Among the 15 soldiers who lost their lives during the attack were a captain and a lieutenant.

It was not clear at press time if this attack was the same with the one in which the Nigerian Army confirmed five soldiers dead.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.

Buhari should put an end to banditry, unrest in Zamfara - Nigerians cry - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel