- The Nigerian Army said it has blocked the logistics and food supplies of the Boko Haram insurgents
- The Army gave insight into its recent successes recorded in the fight against insurgency in the north east
- The security body said it has decimated the insurgent groups which now allegedly targets soft spots
The camp of the Boko Haram has been hit by hunger with the members of the insurgent group now struggling to survive, the Nigerian Army said on Thursday, May 2.
The Army said this in a statement issued by Colonel Ado Isa, the Deputy Director of Public Relations, Theatre Command of the Operation Lafia Dole.
The statement obtained by Legit.ng said the strategy adopted by the troops of Operation Lafiya Dole in conducting what it called robust and aggressive fighting patrols in the north east had yielded good results.
“These actions were aimed to complement the efforts of Operation Yancin Tafki by the Multi National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) currently ongoing along the borders of the lake chad region.
“Recently, it has been observed that the few elements of the Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs) earlier bombarded and chased out of their enclaves were left with depleted number of fighters and supplies.
“They are presently feeling the colossal storm of the joint operations and are now looking for ways to sneak into town for food supplies, logistics and most importantly weapons,” the statement said.
The Nigerian Army added that the Boko Haram insurgents had earlier resolved to begin springing surprise attacks on soft targets, smaller units, including civilian settlement with market advantage within the Theatre.
It said as a result, troops of 254 Task Force Battalion at Forward Operation Base (FOB) Kimba, while on clearance operation along Sabon Gari in ‘25 Task Force Brigade Area of Operation’ Damboa, came in contact with the terrorists on April 27, 2019.
During the encounter, the statement said, troops were reinforced and succeeded in giving the terrorists a lethal fight with only minor casualty on the soldiers and few damaged equipment.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
“Dozens of the BHTs were decimated and several others escaped with severe gunshot wounds. Normalcy has since returned to the general area while troops dominated all likely escape routes of the terrorists.
“We therefore call on the general public to disregard the unsubstantiated story circulating in some media outfits and other social media platforms with fake casualty report of own troops and equipment on the encounter with BHTs along Kimba - Sabon Gari - Damboa axis on 27April 2019,” the statement said.
Legit.ng earlier reported that the Nigerian Army recently denied claims by a member of the Presidential Committee on the Northeast Initiative (PCNI), Sidi Ali Mohammed, that insurgent fighters made several times more money daily than a Nigerian soldier battling them.
The Nation reports that the Army lambasted Mohammed in a statement signed by its spokesman Sagir Musa on Wednesday, May 1.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.
Young man shares experience with SARS officer | Legit TV