- Anthony Joshua has reportedly agreed terms to fight Andy Ruiz in New York on June 1
- The 29-year-old Ruiz boasts of a 32 wins from 33 fights record
- Joshua's former challenger Jarrell Miller has been suspended by WBA for his failing tests for banned substance
Nigerian-born Anthony Joshua is set to battle American Andy Ruiz Jr as replacement for Jarrell Miller in New York on 1 June.
According to the BBC, the 29-year-old Joshua, who is currently the unified world heavyweight champion, was initially billed to face Miller at Madison Square Garden but the American pugilist was axed from the bout after failing a test for banned substance.
The report revealed that 29-year-old California-born Ruiz, who has previously fought for a world title is expected to be confirmed as Joshua's opponent for his first fight in US on Tuesday, April 30.
AJ’s promoter Eddie Hearn says Ruiz will "do anything" to become world champion.
"He will entertain you, give it his all. Even if it means getting sensationally knocked out, he will rather do that than not do it," Hearn told Fighthype.com.
"I couldn't afford a guy who I thought may not be good enough or game enough to entertain the fans. I had to pick a guy in my heart who I thought will do everything to become world heavyweight champion at the Garden."
Meanwhile, Ruiz has already agreed to terms, leaving only a few details to be documented, with Hearn revealing the fight was "close".
Interestingly, Ruiz defeated Germany's Alexander Dimitrenko in his last fight on April 20, weighing in at 262lbs, which is 17lbs heavier than AJ during his last win over Alexander Povetkin in September 2018.
Ruiz at 6ft 2in, is four inches shorter than Joshua, meaning he will be suffer reach disadvantage during the fight.
During his only world title bout, Ruiz lost on points to New Zealand's Joseph Parker, whom Joshua defeated on points 15 months later to unify the WBA, IBF and WBO world titles.
The June 1 fight is expected to see Joshua return to action after nine months of inactivity as he seeks to extend his 22- unbeaten fight record.
However, British heavyweight Dillian Whyte believes Ruiz represented "a save-the-show fight", stressing AJ would have no problem beating the American challenger.
Already, Jarrell Miller has been handed a six months suspension by the WBA for his failing tests for banned substance.
The American tested positive to three banned substances prior to his June 1 bout with Anthony Joshua.
Miller will be withdrawn from the WBA's rankings and will also have to register with VADA to undergo random testing at his own expense.
The boxer's suspension will end on September 19 and Miller must produce those test results if he intends to stage a comeback to the WBA rankings.
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that Anthony Joshua has wished Jarrell Miller "good luck" following his failed test to banned substance - but added he "doesn't deserve to be in the ring with me or any other heavyweight right now".
The American was due to fight Joshua in his first fight in the United States, for the world heavyweight championship.
But the unbeaten Miller was denied a licence after an "adverse finding" from a sample taken on 20 March.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Lionel Messi is a game changer and can destroy - Moses Simon | Legit TV