Sri Lanka bans burqas after bomb attacks that claimed several lives

Sri Lanka bans burqas after bomb attacks that claimed several lives

Following bomb attacks on Easter Sunday, April 21, that killed more than 250 people and wounded at least 500 in Sri Lankan churches and hotels, the country's president, Maithripala Sirisena, has banned wearing of burqas.

The decision was said to have been taken to support the ongoing security and help the armed forces to easily identify the the identity of any wanted perpetrators, CNN reports.

READ ALSO: We have paid 38 months salaries since we came into power - Kogi govt

Legit.ng gathers that the ban goes into effect on Monday, April 29.

The press release read: "President Maithripala Sirisena took this decision to further support the ongoing security and help the armed forces to easily identify the identity of any wanted perpetrators."

A burqa, which is worn by Muslim women, is a garment that covers the entire body, with mesh over the eyes.

Sri Lanka bans burqas for 'public protection' after bomb attacks

Women in burqas
Source: UGC

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Catholic churches in Sri Lanka put all public services on suspension over security fears as whereabouts of several suspects remain unknown over the Easter terror attacks.

A senior Catholic priest said all the churches would be closed on the advice of the security forces in the country.

While private services for burials would be conducted, no public mass would hold until further notice and as advised by the security agencies.

Security outfits in the country recently made more arrest of suspects connected with the suicide bombings that claimed 359 lives as pressure mount on the government over its earlier intelligence failure.

The president of the country, Maithripala Sirisena, asked the police chief and defence ministry head to step down, but neither has done so.

Security forces have also been using the new powers granted them to make more arrests as more than 90 suspects was apprehended.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Brigadier Sumith Atapatty said that the army in the country had increased its officials to 6,300 as the navy and air force also upped their personnel to 2,000.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better

Is Nigeria truly the 6th most miserable country in the world? | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel