- Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte threatened to 'declare war' on Canada over tonnes of garbage
- Duterte said the Philippines would 'fight Canada' is the trash was not taken back
- Scores of trash containers were reportedly shipped to the country between 2013 and 2014
Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte threatened to 'declare war' on Canada if the country fails to remove tonnes of garbage that had been shipped to the country more than five years ago.
According to Daily Mail, Duterte alleged the shipments contain toxic waste and threatened to 'fight Canada' within the next week if the illegally shipped rubbish was not taken back.
The Philippines president also threatened to sail the mountains of trash back to Canada.
Duterte said he did not care if his stance on the issue turned the two countries into enemies.
He said: "I want a boat prepared. I'll give a warning to Canada maybe next week that they better pull that thing out, or I will set sail for Canada and dump their garbage back there.
"Let's fight Canada. I will declare war against them. I will advise Canada that your garbage is on the way. Prepare a grand reception. Eat it if you want to."
More than 100 of the containers were reportedly shipped to Manila in Philippines by a Canadian company in and improperly labelled as plastics for recycling.
Customs inspectors discovered the shipments actually contained garbage, including soiled adult diapers and kitchen trash.
The piles of recycling is among several festering issues that have soured ties between the two governments.
In 2016, a court in the Philippines ordered the waste to be shipped back to Canada at the expense of the importer.
Duterte also told officials: "For Canada's garbage, I want a boat prepared. They better pull that thing out or I will set sail to Canada and dump their garbage there."
However, the Canadian government reportedly said it had no authority to compel a private shipper to return the shipment to Canada.
In a statement on Tuesday, April 23, Canada's embassy in Manila said officials from both countries were working on issues related to removing the waste "with a view to a timely resolution" and "to ensure the material is processed in an environmentally responsible way".
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android and read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Saudi Arabia said that 37 nationals who were charged with terrorism had been executed for their crime on Tuesday, April 23.
It should be noted that the executions happened two days after an attack on a police station in Central Riyadh province.
The government said the citizens were executed for the various acts of terrorism they committed.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better
I was trafficked abroad to be a slave, s*ex machine -Damilola Falodun | Legit TV