JAMB describes report on alleged reduction of UTME scores as fake

JAMB describes report on alleged reduction of UTME scores as fake

- The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has called on candidates to disregard report that claims 2019 UTME scores are being reduced

- The board describes the report as fake, adding that the news emanated from a gang who coordinated from a town called Igarra in Edo state

- According to JAMB, the gang has affiliates in Lagos and other states

- The report claims that scores of candidates who sat for the examination and were found wanting by the board are being reduced by 100 marks

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has described as fake, a trending report that scores of candidates who sat for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) are being reduced.

The board in a statement signed by its head of media and publicity, Dr Fabian Benjamin, and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja on Monday, April 22, said the report was false.

Legit.ng gathers that the report had claimed that scores of candidates who sat for the UTME and were found wanting by the board were being reduced by 100 marks.

READ ALSO: Husband and wife bag PhD in Mathematics

JAMB said that an investigation carried out discovered that the fake news emanated from a gang who coordinated from a town called Igarra in Edo state with affiliates in Lagos and other states.

The board described the act as fraudulent and meant to extort parents and candidates.

The board said: “A gang being coordinated from a town called Igarra in Edo State with affiliates in Lagos, Ogun, Osun, Abia, Anambra and Plateau states are circulating fake notice of impending reduction of UTME scores.

“This is with intent to extort and defraud parents and candidates.

“Candidates results would be received on their registered cell phones as soon as the ongoing scrutiny of the examination centers are completed and publicly announced.

“Only the fraudulent candidates or parents stand being defrauded on this matter."

Benjamin had in an interview on Sunday, April 21, warned candidates not to be carried away by rumours and misleading information in some sections of the media, especially the social media.

He also said that the board distances itself from such rumours about releasing results of candidates of the just concluded UTME and steps to check these results as being speculated.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Legit.ng previously reported that the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) said it would reach out to candidates through their telephones as as soon as all the results of the 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination were ratified.

The board’s head, media and information, Dr Fabian Benjamin, disclosed this in Lagos on Sunday, April 21.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better

Nigerians express mixed feelings as JAMB reduces admission cut-off to 120 - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel