Eighteen thousand tonnes of rice which has been declared unfit for human consumption is currently being destroyed by the government of Ivory Coast.
The tonnes of rice which is being destroyed by officials is said to have been brought into the country from Myanmar (also known as Burma).
It was also said to have been refused entry at several West African ports in recent weeks, including Lome, Conakry and Accra.
The goods were finally unloaded in Abidjan and then tests were done, which showed there was a problem with the rice.
It is now being taken to a landfill site.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that he Kebbi state governor, Atiku Bagudu, has said Nigeria is on the path of taking on the world in terms of rice production.
The governor said this on Wednesday, December 19, at a Gala night organised by beneficiaries of the government’s Anchor Borrowers Programme held at the State House Conference Center, Abuja.
Bagudu who is the vice chairman of the national food security council, noted that President Muhammadu Buhari has shown unprecedented commitments to agriculture development in Nigeria.
Bagudu said N174 billion has been disbursed as credit to small holder farmers under the anchors borrowers programme. He said this has provided more food, and therefore ensuring Nigeria's food security.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.
Meet hardworking mother and wife who works as a glass-technician in Abuja | Legit TV