Another batch of 136 stranded Nigerians return from Libya

Another batch of 136 stranded Nigerians return from Libya

- The number of Nigerians who live in slavery in Libya seems to be countless since many of them return to the country almostly monthly

- For instance on Tuesday, April 16, the National Emergency Management Agency reported that 136 Nigerians returned from the north African country

- One of the returnees, Kehinde Fatakusi who left Nigeria in 2016 accompanied by his wife and six-year-old son, said that Nigerians are sold to organ traffickers in Libya

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has received another batch of 136 stranded Nigerians from Libya.

Alhaji Idris Muhammed, coordinator, Lagos territorial office of NEMA, confirmed the development to newsmen on Tuesday, April 16, in Lagos, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

Muhammed said the Nigerians arrived at the cargo wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, at 11.50 p.m on Monday aboard a chartered Al Buraq Air aircraft with registration number DMG-MJI.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

According to him, they were brought back by the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) and European Union under the Assisted Voluntary Returnees (AVR) Programme.

He said: “The returnees are made up of 59 adult females, four female children and five female infants. Also, there are 63 adult males, two male children and three infant males.”

Muhammed said the returnees were welcomed by NEMA and other agencies, including the National Refugees Commission, National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons as well the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIM).

Legit.ng had reported that one of the returnees, Kehinde Fatukasi, from Ekiti state, while narrating his experience said he deeply regretted embarking on the journey to the volatile North African country.

The 42-year-old man said he left Nigeria in 2016 accompanied by his wife and six-year-old son. Fatakusi said upon getting to Libya, the family was kidnapped and sold into slavery but fortunately his wife managed to escape.

According to him, he later found out that those in captivity were being sold to organ traffickers which prompted him to escape from the camp with his son.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Fatakusi advised Nigerians to be patient and struggle to make better use of resources available in the country instead of risking their lives in Libya or trying to cross the deadly Mediterranean Sea into Europe.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that NEMA on Friday, March 15, said 12,574 Nigerians had so far returned from Libya under the assisted voluntary returnees programme, which began in April 2017.

Muhammed made this known while receiving a fresh batch of 174 Nigerians who arrived from Libya on Thursday night, March 14.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Mass deportation: Tales of woes from Libya Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng News

Mailfire view pixel