Kogi APC set to protest at party's secretariat over plot to refuse governor ticket

Kogi APC set to protest at party's secretariat over plot to refuse governor ticket

- Kogi APC is set to protest to the party's national secretariat over alleged plot to deny Governor Yahaya Bello second term ticket

- The protesting party members said they would not allow external influence in the government affairs of the north central state

- However, Governor Bello has denied the alleged plans to deny him ticket, adding that he is focused on the state affairs

Crisis may brew in the All Progressive Congress (APC) over the party's alleged plan to refuse Kogi governor, Yahaya Bello, the second term ticket as November 2 state guber election draws nearer.

Daily Independent reports that with insinuation growing over the uncertainty of APC granting the governor ticket, members of Kogi APC might storm the ruling party's secretariat to protest the move.

Legit.ng gathers that the aggrieved Kogi APC members are calling on the party's national working committee led by national chairman, Adams Oshiomhole, to toe the caution ground over the decision.

One of the protesters identified as Jonah Adavi said some members of the party in the state have already travelled to Abuja to register their displeasure against the party's decision. According to him, external influence on the state government affairs will be vehemently rejected.

READ ALSO: Appeal court nullifies election of APC House of Reps member

He said: “We are protesting because we don’t want the politics of Kogi to be determined by some outsiders who are not even residents in Kogi. Even before the primary, we are already getting feelers that Governor Bello would be denied the party’s ticket. That is what we don’t want”.

“If the party wants direct primary in Kogi, we are okay by it. If it is by delegates voting, we are also comfortable with it. If Yahaya Bello lost in a free and fair primary, we have no problem with that. After all, he didn’t win the primary in 2015 but God ordained him as the governor.”

In his reaction, Governor Bello through his chief of press secretary, Onogwu Mohammed, said he was not aware of the plot against him.

Bello said: "We are not aware of that. Since they are not going for a government function, we cannot be in the picture. If it has to do with the party, then it is the party people that will be in the best position to explain, not the state government."

The governor, however, restated his focus on government affairs with few months months away to the end of his tenure,

Bello added that necessary consultation will be taken when the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) releases it schedule for the November 2 election.

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that a senatorial candidate for the Kogi central district had accused Governor Yahaya Bello of shutting her out of the state in her bid to exercise her civil right as a Nigerian voter.

Natasha Akpoti, in a series of tweet, alleged that the governor mounted over 100 fake police officers at Banda area of the state preventing her from gaining entrance into Kogi on Friday, February 22.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

2019 elections: Do you still trust INEC to conduct fair elections? - Nigerians speak| Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel