There was drama at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) on Monday, April 15, during proceeding in the trial of the suspended chief justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, as a member of the prosecution team was sacked.
The member of the prosecution team, Professor Zainab Duke, attempted to speak to the bench when the leader of the team, Aliyu Umar (SAN), was making his announcement, but was shouted down by the latter.
Umar told Professor Zainab to take permission from him before speaking, but Duke sought the protection of the Judge as regards the issue, Channels reports.
Legit.ng gathers that in his response, the chairman of the three-man bench, Danladi Umar, called for tranquility and stated that the lead prosecuting counsel’s point is in order.
He said: "Only one counsel can speak for the team."
When she attempted to speak gain, Duke was cut short by the lead prosecuting counsel who urged the tribunal to send Duke out of the court room.
The tribunal granted the request and struck out the name of Professor Duke as a member of the prosecution team.
Professor Duke was thereafter advised to either leave if she wants to or go to the back of the court.
The hearing of the final submission of the parties in the suit started after the drama ended.
According to the counsel to Justice Onnoghen, Okon Effiong, when the CJN said he forgot to fill his asset declaration form, it was not a confession and cannot be held against him.
He said Onnoghen's statement does not amount to an admission of guilt.
According to Aliyu Umar, the prosecution has proven its case against the defendant beyond reasonable doubt. He said that Onnoghen is guilty on all six charges.
He said: “The defence has not shown that the charges mislead the defendant in any way."
Chairman of the tribunal, Danladi Umar, reserved judgment to Thursday, April 18.
Legit.ng previously reported that the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT), would on Thursday, April 18, deliver judgement in the trial of the suspended chief justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen.
Justice Walter Onnoghen is being tried on a six-count charge of non-declaration of assets.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
The date for the trial was announced on Monday, April 15, by the tribunal chairman, Danladi Umar.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Onnoghen's Trial is Politically Motivated - APRJ - on Legit TV