Autopsy report shows how late NSCDC officer Jumbo died of alleged police brutality

Autopsy report shows how late NSCDC officer Jumbo died of alleged police brutality

- A medical report on the death of an NSCDC official has shown that Ochigbo Jumbo passed out as a result of alleged brutality by officers of the Nigerian Police

- The autopsy said Jumbo died from multiple skin and soft tissue injuries, blunt force injury to the head and cerebral oedema" suffered from the brutality

- According to the autopsy, the deceased brain was swollen as evidenced by widening of the folds of brain tissue

An autopsy report on the death of late Ochigbo Jumbo, an assistant superintendent of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has shown that he (Jumbo) passed out as a result of alleged brutality by officers of the Nigerian Police.

The autopsy conducted at the Maitama General Hospital on March 26, by three renowned pathologists, one of whom represented the Nigeria Police said, late Jumbo died as a result of "multiple skin and soft tissue injuries, blunt force injury to the head and cerebral oedema" suffered from the brutality.

A copy of the autopsy seen by showed that there was no natural disease in the body to sufficiently explain Jumbo's sudden death.

A history on the incidences that led to Jumbo's death as obtained from his wife by the coroner said: "Death was due to the blunt force injury to the head."

"He was said to have been involved in an altercation with traffic wardens at the Traffic control point on “Redeemed Junction” along Nyanya - Karshi road, at about 7.25 am on 20 March, 2019, which led to his receiving repeated blows to the head and body with fists and batons, both there and later on in the police station. He collapsed and was taken first to Nyanya General Hospital, and then to Asokoro District Hospital, Abuja where he was certified dead by 10.30am that same day," the report said.

READ ALSO: Just in: PDP wins Rivers supplementary elections

It added that the deceased brain was swollen as evidenced by widening of the folds of brain tissue (gyri), and narrowing of the spaces in between these folds (sulci).

According to the report, in medical terms such swelling is referred to as cerebral oedema while blunt force injury to the head is a well-recognised cause of cerebral oedema, a condition in which there is severe impairment of brain function. This was the cause of his death. also gathered that the autopsy exercise which lasted for a week was also observed by Detective John Anebe (IPO from the State CIID), who was mandated to handle investigations into the death.

A renowned pathologist from the General Hospital, Asokoro and another from a private hospital, Abuja (names withheld) also joined the three specialists pathologists at the Maitama General Hospital, while the deceased brother and a family lawyer also observed the process.

The autopsy said: "Forehead and Face: Bruise on the right forehead, 1 cm above the lateral aspect of right eyebrow, measuring 2.5 x 1 cm. Bruise on the lateral aspect of the skin of the left eye socket, 1.5 cm below the left eye, measuring 1.5 x 0.5 cm."

"Left upper limb: diagonal scratch injury, on the flexor aspect of the left arm, starting medially, 3cm above the popliteal fossa, and extending upwards and laterally for 5.5 cm.

It also noted that: "Lower limbs: Bruise on the central portion of the right knee cap, measuring 2 x 1.5 cm. Bruise on the right leg, 4 cm below the knee cap, measuring 2 x 1.5 cm."

While the report said that there are two bruises, next to each other (above and below), just beneath the left knee cap, measuring 1.5 x 1.2 cm and 1.5 x 1.5 cm respectively, a bruise on the tip of the right big toe, measured 1.5 x 0.5 cm.

READ ALSO: President Buhari weighs options on incoming cabinet

"Avulsion injury of the tip of the left big toe, measuring 1.5 x 0.9 x 0.5cm. Bruise on the medial aspect of the left 2nd toe, measuring 1 x 0.7cm," the report added.

Ada Jumbo, wife of the deceased, in an extract obtained from her statement, said her husband was dragged on the floor for several metres after he was mercilessly hit on the head with police baton.

She said herself and her children continued to plead with them (the police officers) not to kill her late husband as they were dragging him on the floor to the police Station.

"On arrival at the Police State, the Police men who apparently were dismantling from duty that morning numbering over 10 (I can identify most of them) swooped on my late husband and continued to beat him and calling him names and making uncomplimentary remarks about Civil Defence Corps," Mrs Jumbo said in a statement.

She said she and her children prostrated before the officers begging for mercy on behalf of her husband as the was dragged behind the counter and forcefully sat him on a white plastic chair and continued manhandling him without restraint before he slumped.

Mrs. Jumbo said: "They claimed he was only pretending when I raised an alarm that my husband was not moving and should be rushed to the hospital, I tried to get to the back of the counter but was prevented by a Police man (who I can identify). "

"My late husband’s lifeless body laid on the floor while they continued to mock him in spite of my cry and entreaties that they should please take him to the hospital," she said.

She also said that about 30 minutes after Jumbo slumped the divisional Police Officer arrived the police station.

Obviously having been informed of what had happened, the DPO began to shout at Jumbo's lifeless body ordering him to stop pretending.

She said the DPO further ordered one of his men to bring him a syringe so he can prick him and see whether he will still continue pretending.

She said it was during the confusion that the DPO after about 20 minutes of his ranting, ordered his men to get one of the police vehicle’s and take Jumbo to the hospital.

Sources within the Jumbo family also said that police authority had never visited nor shown sympathy to the family since a month ago, when their breadwinner was gruesomely murdered.

However, the Nigeria Police in an attempt to dispel report on the killing of Jumbo by its officers had earlier said that the NSCDC official slumped and died after driving himself to Nyanya Police station.

The Force public relations officer, ACP Frank Mba, in a statement had said Jumbo was said to have disobeyed traffic regulations and accosted by two traffic wardens who are not conventional policemen.

"On contravention, he was arrested and he drove himself to the police station with immediate members of his family who were with him at the time of arrest and a Traffic Warden in his own car.

"Traffic Wardens are not conventional Police personnel that is why they wear yellow top for easy identification. They don’t bear arms either," Mba had said in the statement.

Meanwhile, previously reported that the Benue state governor, Samuel Ortom, has called for an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of Jumbo.

READ ALSO: upgrades to a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

The late Ochigbo, who was from Benue state, was allegedly murdered in the presence of his wife and children by some police officers near Nyanya market, Abuja on Wednesday, March 19.

Governor Ortom condemned the killing of Ochigbo, and called on the Inspector General of Police to ensure that the culprits are brought to justice.

He described the act as barbaric, heartless, and a violation of the sanctity of human life. ( -> We have upgraded to serve you better. Robbers Return Firearms to Nigerian Police (Crime News in Nigeria) | Legit TV


Online view pixel