Police arrest kidnappers of Channels TV reporter

Police arrest kidnappers of Channels TV reporter

- Three suspected kidnappers of a Channels Televisions reporter, Friday Okeregbe, have been arrested by the Nigerian Police

- The police said the suspects were arrested on April 9 by operatives attached to ‘Operation Puff Adder’

- According to police, Okeregbe who was not originally their target, was taken to the kidnappers’ den in Karimo, Abuja and kept incommunicado

The Nigeria Police said it had arrested three suspects in connection with the abduction of Channels Television reporter, Friday Okeregbe.

The suspects are: Hanniel Patrick, 29, from Akwa Ibom, Abdulwahab Isah, 28 and Salisu Mohammed, 32 both from Kogi .

Okeregbe who was released on March 28, was kidnapped on March 22 by the suspects along Games Village in Abuja while on his way from his mechanic’s workshop.

A statement by the Force spokesman, Frank Mba, a deputy commissioner of Police on Sunday, April 14, in Abuja, said the suspects were arrested on April 9 by operatives attached to ‘Operation Puff Adder’.

READ ALSO: Atiku’s lawyer not licensed to practise in Nigeria - INEC tells tribunal

He said that Okeregbe who was not originally their target, was taken to the kidnappers’ den in Karimo, Abuja and kept incommunicado.

The spokesman said that items recovered from the suspects included a locally made revolver gun, three live AK47 ammunition, a battle axe, hanset phones and masks with which they blindfold their victims.

Mba said that the suspects had made useful statement to the police.

He said that efforts were being intensified to arrest other members of the gang still at large.

Mba said that the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Mohammed Adamu had reassured Nigerians that the police and other security agencies would do everything possible to check crimes in the country.

He, however, enjoined members of the public to always avail the police with useful information that would help in realising these objectives.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the US Department of State has warned US citizens on the risks of traveling to Nigeria.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

In a post on its website, the state department announced an update to safety and security for US citizens traveling abroad.

Legit.ng notes that the department announced the introduction of a new risk indicator in order to communicate more clearly to US citizens, the risks of kidnapping and hostage taking by criminal and terrorist actors around the world.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Legit.ng visits kidnappers' den discovered in Lagos - on Legit TV

Source: Legit Nigeria

Mailfire view pixel