- A pro-Buhari group has called for the continuation of the trial of embattled former Nigeria's CJN, Walter Onnoghen
- BMO in a statement said the continuation of the trial will justify Onnoghen's earlier suspension by President Buhari
- The organisation also described the resignation of the former CJN as a victory for fight against corruption
More trouble may lay ahead for the former chief justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Samuel Onnoghen, as a pro-Buhari group, the Buhari Media Organisation (BMO), called for the continuation of his trial.
BMO in a statement released to the media on Thursday, April 11, by its coordinator, Niyi Akinsiju, and the secretary, Cassidy Madueke, said Onnoghen's resignation should not be a yardstick which his trial case would be dropped.
While lauding the Economic and Finance Crime Commission (EFCC) and Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) for its effort on the trial, the organisation called for more prosecution of the embattled former CJN.
READ ALSO: Marafa offers Saraki another wife in appreciation for N10bn Zamfara intervention fund
According to BMO, this will bring forth the clear justification of his earlier suspension by President Muhamadu Buhari, Daily Trust reports.
The statement read: "This would enable the suspended CJN to defend himself in a duly constituted court and give President Muhammadu Buhari enough reasons to justify his suspension if found guilty, rather than create room for opposition elements to suggest that Justice Onnoghen was forced out of office.
“It would also send a clear signal to other bad eggs in the judiciary about the Buhari administration’s readiness to clean the augean stable."
Berating some media platforms for its criticism on the Onnoghen's trial, the organisation also described the resignation of the former CJN as a victory for fight against corruption.
He said: "We are of the view that this resignation is not even honourable. It was long overdue. A man who, by his own admission, had stated that he breached provisions of the Code of Conduct by not declaring his assets as mandated by law, should have sent in his resignation months ago.
“Justice Onnoghen’s resignation has affirmed that this was indeed not a witch-hunt, neither was it a political matter as the Peoples Democratic Party and indeed many naysayers had made it look like. This has also put to rest posters that questioned the evidence that was put forward with regards to the former CJN’s malfeasances, abuse of office and failure to declare his assets."
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update
Legit.ng recalls that Justice Onnoghen resigned as the chief justice of Nigeria following allegation of corruption of breaches of trust.
He was arraigned before the Justice Umar Danladi-led panel after the federal government accused him of false assets declaration.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Adegboyega Awomolo who was the lawyer to Onnoghen had explained that the former CJN resigned in the interest of the judiciary.
The lawyer confirmed that Onnoghen resigned on Thursday, April 4 afters months of trial and prosecution at CCT.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Onnoghen's Trial is Politically Motivated - APRJ - on Legit TV