- JAMB said it will look into the reported cases of some candidates' inability to do biometric verification
- The examination body's spokesperson, Fabian Benjamin, said the decision will be taken soon after investigating the cases
- Benjamin also said the the release of the results would not be immediate as the board would take time to process before releasing them to avoid multiple cancellations
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has said it will investigate reported cases of the inability of some candidates to do biometric verification as the 2019/20 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) commenced on Thursday, April 11.
The board’s Head of Media and Publicity, Dr Fabian Benjamin disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in a telephone interview on Friday, April 12, in Abuja.
Benjamin also said that the release of the results would not be immediate as the board was taking time to process before releasing them in order to avoid multiple cancellations.
On the biometric verification, Benjamin said that the board was looking into all reported cases and would take a decision soon.
“We will look at the cases brought before us to know if they are actual challenges or part of malpractice.
“This is because we discovered that some candidates have done something they intend to take advantage of the biometric verification challenge as an excuse, so we need to ascertain the genuineness of these cases.
"I assure you we are looking at it and would do something,” he said.
NAN reports that the 2019/20 UTME which commenced on Thursday, April 11, nationwide was not totally hitch-free as some candidates complained of inability to be verified through the biometric process, either at the beginning or end of the exercise.
However, NAN also reports that some centres recorded a smooth conduct of the process as over 1.8 million candidates who registered for the exercise were expected to sit for the examination from April 11 to April 15 in the 698 Computer Based Test (CBT) centres across the country.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that popular TV broadcaster Sulaiman Aledeh raised alarm on Thursday, April 11, that his daughter was denied access to the examination hall to participate in the 2019 UTME.
According to Aledeh, his daughter was asked to remove her hijab before she would be allowed in to the hall.
The UTME centre is at New Ocean School, Megida, Ayobo.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
Nigerians express mixed feelings as JAMB reduces admission cut-off to 120 - on Legit TV