- The Israeli embassy has denied, in a press release, the claim that it converted a Palestinian mosque into a bar and events hall in Safed.
- An earlier report sourced from Middle East Monitor which quoted the Al-Quds Al-Arabi ,had claimed Israeli government converted the mosque to bar and event hall
- The mosque, one of the most historical in the Arab city, was first turned into a Jewish school after the Israeli occupation in 1948.
- The London-based newspaper had reported that the mosque was turned to a bar and wedding hall by an firm affiliated to the Israeli municipality
- In a release sent to this online media, the Israeli government denied the allegations as claimed by Middle East Monitor
The Israeli government has denied the claim that it converted a Palestinian mosque into a bar and events hall in Safed. An earlier report sourced from Middle East Monitor which quoted the Al-Quds Al-Arabi ,had claimed Israeli government converted the mosque to bar and event hall.
However, in a swift the Israeli government through its ambassador in Nairobi had denied the report
The denial was contained in a release signed by Israeli ambassador to Nairobi is shown below:
The story was first reported by the Middle East Monitor which quoted the Al-Quds Al-Arabi which also further claimed the mosque, one of the most historical in the Arab city, was first turned into a Jewish school after the Israeli occupation in 1948.
READ ALSO: NECO postpones 2019 Common Entrance Exam to April 27
Middle East Monitor had also claimed that after converting into a Jewish school, the building was turned into a centre for Likud’s elections campaigns and then into a clothes warehouse before being converted into a nightclub.
The recent conversion into a bar and events hall according to the paper was said to have been carried out by a firm affiliated to the Israeli municipality and the name was changed to Khan Al-Ahmar.
The Middle East Monitor, quoted the secretary of Safed and Tiberias Islamic Endowment, Khair Tabari, as saying that he had been waiting for the Nazareth court to take a decision regarding a complaint he filed requesting the mosque’s evacuation and return to the endowment. He said he attached documents to prove Islamic ownership of the facility and called for cooperation from different political and popular bodies in order to save the mosque from violations.
Before being forced out of their homes in 1948, Safed was home to 12,000 Palestinians.Tabari lamented over the fact that the mosque is now open for use for everything except prayers by Muslims.
The release by the Israeli ambassador to Nairobi explained the government side of the story and claiming that the Middle East Minotor was false news.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the embassy of Israel in Nigeria inaugurated the 2nd National Old Testament Bible Contest in Nigeria and Africa at large to promote moral education.
Shimon Ben-Shoshan, the Israeli ambassador to Nigeria, said this in his address at the official inauguration of the contest on Wednesday, April 10, in Abuja.
The event, on the theme,“Unveiling the Secrets of the Land” was organised by the Israeli embassy in collaboration with Israel’s ministry of education and Christians United for Israel, a faith-based organisation.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Europe on the path to de-Islamisation? - on Legit TV: