Police charge 4 ex-SARS officers to court over alleged armed robbery, kidnapping

Police charge 4 ex-SARS officers to court over alleged armed robbery, kidnapping

- Four ex-SARS officers have been charged to Lagos state high court by the Nigerian Police Force

- The suspects were arraigned on a three-count charge bordering on alleged conspiracy, corruption and abuse of office

- Defence counsel, A.O. Aguegebobo, told the court that investigation on the matter had been concluded by the police

Nigeria Police Force on Tuesday, April 9, arraigned four dismissed officers of the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) before a Lagos high court, Ikeja, over alleged abuse of office.

Guardian reports that the dismissed officers, Sgt. Adeoye Adekunle, Sgt. Adeniran Adebowale, Sgt. Agbi Lucky and Sgt. Odighe Hehosa, who were arraigned on a three-count charge bordering on alleged conspiracy, corruption and abuse of office, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Legit.ng gathered that they were dismissed and subsequently charged before a magistrate’s court for armed robbery, kidnapping, unlawful detention and intimidation, as well as threatening violence.

It was learnt that following their plea, the defence counsel, A.O. Aguegebobo, informed the court of a bail application he had filed before court and urged the judge to grant them bail, saying that the defendants had been in prison custody since July 18, 2018. He also told the court that investigation on the matter had been concluded by the police.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

However, the prosecuting counsel, Adeola Odumabo, did not oppose the bail application.

The trial judge, Justice Hakeem Oshodi, granted them bail in the sum of N500,000 with two sureties in like sum.

“The defendants are hereby admitted to bail in the sum of N500 000 with two sureties. One of the sureties must be a blood relation while the other must be a police officer not less than an Inspector. The defendants are to be remanded in prison custody pending the perfection of their bail,” the judge said.

He subsequently adjourned trial to October 15, 2019.

The former SARS officers were said to have been dismissed following a petition written against them by one Chukwudi Godwin Odionye, popularly referred to as ‘Bishop.’

READ ALSO: EFCC arraigns 6 FAAN staff, others for illegal dealing in gold

In the petition dated May 2, 2018, the bishop alleged that sometimes in June 4, 2017, he was in his house around Alagbado area of the state, when four armed men stormed his house to effect his arrest on the allegation of performing ‘fake’ miracles.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the foster father of Kolade Johnson, the young man killed by some trigger-happy SARS officers, opened up on the way the event affected him and his family.

It was reported that the bereaved man who revealed that the deceased was with him since he was a child spoke.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better

Kolade Johnson: My son came home from S/Africa because of issues there - Foster father | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel