Suspected gunmen reportedly kill 20 in fresh Kaduna attack

Suspected gunmen reportedly kill 20 in fresh Kaduna attack

- About 20 people have been reportedly killed in a fresh attack in Kaduna state

- Suspected gunmen had on Monday, April 8, attacked Anguwan Aku village, Kajuru local government area of the state

- An eyewitness said the attackers were dressed in military uniform and were armed with AK47 rifles, machetes and sticks

Suspected gunmen have reportedly killed no fewer than 20 people in a fresh attack in Anguwan Aku village, Kajuru local government area of Kaduna state.

This Day reports that several others were said to have sustained injuries from gunshots after the attack which took place on the morning of Monday, April 8.

Legit.ng gathered that a resident of the community said the attackers were dressed in military uniform and were armed with AK47 rifles, machetes and sticks and were communicating with each other.

According to him, the invaders started shooting sporadically upon arrival in the village, adding that, "they were shooting indiscriminately and everybody started running to the bush. They were pursuing us as we ran to the bush, some people were killed in the bush."

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

He further alleged that the police arrived the village in eight Hilux vans, but could not go into the bushes to pursue the bandits.

"The police came in eight Hilux vehicles, but instead of pursuing the bandits who ran to the bushes, they just turned back," he alleged.

He said there had been speculations about an impending attacks since last week, which the state government was aware of.

A former president of the Adara Development Association (ADA), Danladi Yarima, confirmed the killings in a telephone interview, describing it as unfortunate. He condemned the killings and accused Governor Nasir El-Rufai of alleged bias in handling the crisis.

The incessant killings in Kajuru communities started on February 10, 2019 when herdsmen allegedly attacked Anguwan Barde, an Adara community, in the night and killed eleven people.

Residents of Birnin-Gwari in Birnin-Gwari local government of Kaduna state on Monday, April 8, protested the persistent killings of their people by bandits.

The protest led by the coalition of Birnin-Gwari association coincided with the visit of Governor El-Rufai, and the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, to Birnin-Gwari.

The protesters laid siege to the Emir’s palace at about 3pm and demanded for the deployment of more troops to the town which had over the years been ravaged by the activities of kidnappers and armed robbers.

Saying that enough is enough, the protesters noted with dismay and great shock, the continued attack on innocent residents by bandits at Birnin-Gwari.

READ ALSO: Our records show that Atiku won presidential election - Galadima claims

Auwa Yunus who spoke on behalf of the protesters, said: “We equally call on our people to peacefully join hands in the struggle to send a clear and unambiguous message to governments on our plights.”

He also called on the National Emergency Agency and the State Emergency Agency (SEMA) to assist in rebuilding of homes destroyed during the various attacks on communities so as to enable internally displaced persons to return to their homes.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that there was chaos in the morning of Wednesday, April 3, as five alleged kidnappers reportedly attacked a major contracting firm in Kaduna state killing a policeman.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better

Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel