- Troops of the United States Army have temporarily pulled out of fight against militia groups in Libya
- The US head of African command said the decision was because of looming civil war in the country
- Libya may plunge into crisis as warring rebels and militia groups advance towards Tripoli, the country's capital
The military forces of the United States have temporarily pulled out of fight in Libya following a security concern and what seems to be a threat of civil war in Tripoli, the country capital.
The US on Sunday, April 7, made the decision known with Marine Corps General Thomas Waldhauser, head of US Africa command, saying the temporary departure was facilitated to prevent civil war as warring militia groups advanced to Tripoli, Dailymail UK reports.
Waldhauser, announcing the pull out, said: "The security realities on the ground in Libya are growing increasingly complex and unpredictable. Even with an adjustment of the force, we will continue to remain agile in support of existing US strategy."
Legit.ng gathers that the US's decision followed India's withdrawal of its own troop on Saturday, April 6, citing reason that the "situation in Libya has suddenly worsened."
Although the number of US troop evacuated has not been given, footage showed two US Navy transport craft maneuvering off a beach in the east of Tripoli as American forces were ferried off the Libyan shore.
Libya has been plunged into unrest since 2011 when former dictator Moammar Gadhafi was killed and overthrown.
The North African country has since been governed by rival authorities in the east and in Tripoli, in the west, each backed by various armed groups.
American troops have been in Libya in recent years in a combined effort with local forces to combat Islamic State and al-Qaida militants until the sudden pull out was announced.
Libyan National Army led by Field Marshal Khalifa Hifter has been accused of trying to drag the country into civil when his troop launched a surprise offensive in Tripoli.
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the visa of a high-ranking chief prosecutor of the International Court of Justice, Fatou Bensouda, had been revoked by the United States after she called for an investigation into the potential war crime by US soldiers in Afghanistan.
Fatou Bensouda, a Gambian national, had vowed in a statement from her office to pursue the alleged war crime in line with the law guiding her duty "without fear of favour."
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Would Nigeria be a better place with Trump as president? - on Legit TV