NJC reaches conclusion on petitions against Onnoghen, Muhammad; writes Buhari

NJC reaches conclusion on petitions against Onnoghen, Muhammad; writes Buhari

- The NJC has reached a conclusion on petitions written against Justices Walter Onnoghen and Tanko Muhammad

- Onnoghen was accused of not declaring all his assets as a public official while Tanko was accused of allowing himself to be used as an acting CJN

- The NJC decided that it would be inappropriate to publicise its decision before conveying it to the president, due to the nature of the conclusion

The National Judicial Council disclosed on Wednesday, April 3, that it had reached decisions on the petitions written against Justice Walter Onnoghen, the suspended chief justice of Nigeria, and Justice Tanko Muhammad, the justice acting in his stead.

The council further disclosed that its decision had been communicated to President Muhammadu Buhari for action, Premium Times reports.

READ ALSO: I'll bring equity, justice, stability to House of Representatives - Bago promises as he moves to succeed Dogara

Legit.ng notes that Onnoghen is standing trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) after being accused by the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) of not declaring all his assets as a public official.

Onnoghen has also been accused of receiving bribes in money and gifts from lawyers, and receiving illicit payments from public funds by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). He has denied all charges.

In a written statement to the NJC, the embattled CJN accused the EFCC of ignorance and attempting to tarnish his image. He described the accusations as baseless.

The judicial council also received petitions against Muhammad, who is accused of allowing himself to be used as an acting CJN after President Buhari’s controversial suspension of Onnoghen.

Following its emergency meeting, a spokesman for the NJC, Soji Oye, said the council abstained from considering the allegations relating to assets declaration levelled against Onnoghen, as they were 'subjudice'.

He said the council “reached a decision on the petitions written by Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and others and conveyed its decision to President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR.”

According to Oye, the council decided that it would be inappropriate to publicise its decision before conveying it to the president, due to the nature of the conclusion.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the driver of Justice Walter Onnoghen on Monday, April 1, gave evidence as the first defence witness in the former’s ongoing trial before the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

Onnoghen’s lead counsel, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), led the witness, Alhaji Lawal Olanrewaju Busari, in evidence.

The witness gave evidence of driving the embattled CJN to the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) in 2010 to obtain his assets declaration forms.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Onnoghen's Trial is Politically Motivated - APRJ - on Legit TV:

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel