Breaking: Suspended CJN Onnoghen closes case at CCT

Breaking: Suspended CJN Onnoghen closes case at CCT

The suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Onnoghen, has rested case in his ongoing trial on charges of false and non-declaration of assets.

Leadership reports that the development came on Wednesday, April 3, as a surprise after the defence lawyer, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), had indicated on Monday, April 1, that he would be calling two or three witnesses.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

Legit.ng gathered that the defence had, on Monday, April 1, applied for and caused the Danladi Umar-led CCT to issue a subpoena to be served on an officer of the Code of Conduct Bureau, Theresa Nwafor, to appear on Wednesday, April 3, to testify as the second defence witness.

It was, however, not clear if Nwafor was present at the tribunal when Onnoghen’s lead defence counsel for the Wednesday’s proceedings, Chris Uche (SAN), rose to announce the closure of the defendant’s case.

Uche made no mention of Nwafor or any other proposed defence witness.

He said: “My lords, today is for continuation of trial. But my lords, after a deep review of the evidence led by the prosecution and the defence, the defence has come to conclusion and we have closed our case.

“Pursuant to paragraph 14 of the practice direction of this honourable tribunal, we apply to file our final written addresses.”

He asked for 14 days to file the final written address.

The prosecuting counsel, Aliyu Umar (SAN), said Uche had given him prior indication to close the defence’s case on Wednesday.

He urged the tribunal to use its discretion to allot time for the filing of final addresses by the parties.

However, the chairman of the tribunal. Danladi Umar said that the tribunal gave the defence three working days, from April 4 to April 8 file their address.

The chairman said the prosecution should file their address from April 9 to April 11.

He further adjourned the case until April for adoption of written addresses.

It was reported that Onnoghen’s 60-year-old driver, Lawal Busari to the tribunal as his first defence witness following the March 29, ruling of the tribunal dismissing his no-case submission.

Busari entered the witness box, the tribunal issued an order of subpoena, on a director at the Code of Conduct Bureau, Mrs. Theresa Nwafor, to appear as the suspended CJN’s next witness on Wednesday.

READ ALSO: Buhari will do more for Niger Delta in his second term - Uduaghan

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the African Democratic Congress (ADC) reacted to the ongoing prosecution of the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Onnoghen, by the federal government over alleged false asset declaration.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Onnoghen's Trial is Politically Motivated - APRJ | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel