- Residents reportedly fled from Michika and Madagali areas, after Boko Haram terrorists allegedly razed the areas
- The terrorists allegedly previously burnt down Gatamarwa village in the Chibok area, leading to the death of one person
- Residents are said to be lamenting that villages were left unprotected while soldiers are stationed in major towns
Several villages in the Michika and Madagali areas were reportedly razed by Boko Haram insurgents, causing residents to flee to Gulak, Mubi and other towns on Sunday, March 31.
According to Daily Trust, the terrorists killed scores of the people during the attack.
Legit.ng gathers that during an attack on Saturday night, March 30, the insurgents destroyed property in Kuda-Kaya village. The incident reportedly culminated in a fierce fight with local vigilantes.
This development reportedly follows series of similar attacks on several villages along the Adamawa-Borno border.
Yakubu Nkenke, chairman of the Chibok Parents Association, said one person died when Gatamarwa village in the Chibok area was burnt by the terrorists on Thursday, March 28.
He said: “I am currently attending the funeral of the man killed by Boko Haram on Thursday. The village has been destroyed. Since the beginning of the year, several villages including Daimbo, Makalama. Yimirali-Autlha, Yimirali- Barka, and Yimira have been attacked.”
The armed insurgents reportedly also attacked Hantsa, a Madagali village, on Wednesday, March 27, killing one person.
Residents are said to have expressed concern over the distribution of troops in the area; lamenting that villages were left unprotected while soldiers are stationed in major towns.
Speaking on the condition of anonymity, a community leader reportedly stated: “These villages and the connecting bushes are the routes to Sambisa forest and other hideouts of the insurgents.
"There is need to deploy troops to block these routes and prevent such attacks. The number of attacks on villages is becoming worrisome.”
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the Nigerian Army said its troops successfully foiled a coordinated attack by Boko Haram insurgents at a military location in Borno.
In a statement issued in Maiduguri, Colonel Ado Isa, deputy director, Army public relations, Operation Lafiya Dole, disclosed that troops of 152 Battalion neutralised a number of the insurgents when they attempted to infiltrate its location at Bula-Yobe-Banki axis in Borno.
He said that the troops killed unspecified number of the insurgents while many of them escaped with gunshot wounds, adding that various caliber of ammunition and equipment were recovered in the encounter.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Can Nigerian soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters? - on Legit TV: