CSO warns Nigerians to beware of fake Hajj fare in circulation

CSO warns Nigerians to beware of fake Hajj fare in circulation

The Independent Hajj Reporters (IHR) has dismissed report circulating in the social media that the 2019 hajj fair package is N1.8 million.

IHR, which is a civil society organisation that monitors and reports hajj activities in Nigeria, described the report as fake news.

Daily Trust reports that the national coordinator of the organisation, Ibrahim Mohammed, on Wednesday, March 27, called the attention of the public to the fake news.

READ ALSO: Shehu Sani reacts as Fashola claims some states have almost 24-hour electricity supply

Legit.ng notes that the coordinator said: “This year’s hajj fare has not been announced and we are yet to understand where the authors of N1.8 million hajj fare got their news from.

“It will be recalled that in 2017, an anonymous post went viral on Social Media bordering on the Hajj Fares announced by NAHCON with the authors insinuating foul-play.

“The commission explained and put the matter to rest. However, the same posts surfaced in 2018 and again, clarifications were made by the commission. To reinforce the fact that it was a case of fake news, it should be noted that the 2019 hajj packages are yet to be announced and 2018 hajj fare is less than N1.5 million.”

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) disclosed that the reforms that President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration embarked upon had saved Nigerian pilgrims over N90 billion between 2015 and 2018.

The spokesperson for the commission, Fatima Sanda Usara, made this known during an interactive session with newsmen in Abuja.

Usara stated that the hajj operations, during the previous administration, enmeshed in corrupt practices, which she said, included BTA dollar fraud, fraud in dollar concession and profiteering in the name of government sponsorship.

She added that the corrupt practices were brought under control as a result of various reforms introduced by the Buhari administration.

Giving the breakdown of the figures, Usara said through discontinuation of dollar concession, N75 billion was saved in 2017.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

During the period of Buhari’s reform, she said the federal government abolished pilgrims sponsorship that used to cost about N1.6 billion annually.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better

Eid-el-Kabir: Why the ram killed must not exceed three days in your house - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel