CCT trial: Onnoghen speaks, says he has no case to answer

CCT trial: Onnoghen speaks, says he has no case to answer

- Embattled CJN Walter Onnoghen has reacted to FG's closure of his non-declaration of asset case at CCB

- Onnoghen, following FG's decision, said he has no case to answer and opted for no case submission

- The suspended CJN has been standing trial before Justice Umar Danladi-led Code of Conduct Bureau since January

The embattled chief justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Samuel Onnoghen, has disclosed that he has no case to answer following the federal government's decision to close its non asset declaration case against the CJN at the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

Recall that prior to the development, the embattled CJN was standing trial bordering on failure to declare some of his assets as stipulated by law.

He was suspended on January 25 by Pesident Muhammadu Buhari to allow his trial to be fully activated before Justice Umar Danladi-led CCB. He was replaced by Justice Tank Mohammad in acting capacity.

READ ALSO: Kano guber: CUPP to challenge Ganduje’s victory in court

The CJN, having failed to present himself for court interrogation on two previous occasions, later appeared in the dock before Justice Danladi.

He said he was not guilty and told the court that his asset declaration form submitted to the Code of Conduct Bureau was tampered with.

However, the federal government, having failed to prove its allegation against Justice Onnoghen, made a U-turn and dropped the case against him on Thursday, March 21.

In reaction, the embattled CJN said he has no case to answer, adding that he has opted to go for a no case submission, Vanguard reports.

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update

Legit.ng notes that Onnoghen's reaction followed a court hearing where it was proved that he did not have 55 houses as speculated in the media.

A witness at the court trial also admitted that the CCB was yet to verify Justice Onnoghen’s assets before charging him for false asset declaration.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Johnmary Jideobi, an Abuja based lawyer, had reportedly sued Nigeria’s information and culture minister, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, over what the plaintiff thought was a ‘false’ claim against Onnoghen.

Jideobi alleged that Lai Mohammed claimed that Onnoghen ran a suspicious transaction running into huge sums.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Onnoghen's Trial is Politically Motivated - APRJ - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel