Soldiers must be involved in elections - Keyamo, says Edwin Clark, others hailed Jonathan for Army's involvement in 2015 elections

Soldiers must be involved in elections - Keyamo, says Edwin Clark, others hailed Jonathan for Army's involvement in 2015 elections

- A Lagos-based lawyer, Festus Keyamo, has said the military personnel should be involved in the conduct of elections

- Keyamo, who is President Buhari's campaign spokesperson for 2019 presidential election, said the military should always be allowed to give backup support to the police the moment they are overwhelmed

- The lawyer, however, noted that the Tribunal's judgement on Osun governorship election suggests nothing

The director of strategic communications of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential election, Festus Keyamo, has said that the soldiers must not be too faraway from the polling units during the conduct of any election to give backup support to the police the moment they are overwhelmed.

Legit.ng regional reporter, Subair Mohammed, reports that Keyamo, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) who made this known in a telephone interview, said that the Ijaw leader, Edwin Clark and others who were condemning the involvement of the military in election this year election, supported it 2015 when Goodluck was the president.

READ ALSO: Live updates of supplementary governorship elections

He said: “In an election, anything that has the potential of causing serious troubles will need adequate security. For me, I do not support soldiers being at the polling units but they must not be too far away to give support to the police in case they are overwhelmed.

''The police should be able to call for backup. In a video that went viral, some soldiers were seen at the collation centres, so long as they are not interrupting with the voting and collation process, I don’t think there is anything wrong in that.

''Edwin Clark and some other people in 2015 supported military involvement in election. Why are they opposing it now? Which would you prefer? To have the ballot boxes snatched at polling units and the police overwhelmed by election thugs or have the soldiers providing the needed support to the police.”

Speaking of President Muhammadu Buhari's reelection, Keyamo said the president is ready to correct the rot the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) foisted on the country and take Nigerians to next level of economic prosperity.

He said: “We will continue to build infrastructure. We will continue to fight poverty and be committed to the fight against corruption and continue to correct the rot the PDP foisted the country into in their sixteen years of rule.”

While commenting on the judgement of the election tribunal which declared PDP governorship candidate in Osun state, Ademola Adeleke as winner of the supplementary election, the senior lawyer said the judgment of the tribunal suggests nothing.

He said: “The judgment of the tribunal suggests nothing. There is nothing to comment about yet. It is for us to wait for the decision of the Appeal Court and until then there is no comment.”

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Festus Keyamo, director of strategic communications (official spokesperson) of the 2019 re-election bid of President Muhammadu Buhari, denied allegation that he paid millions of naira to Charles Oputa, convener of OurMumuDonDo movement.

Keyamo who disclosed this on his Twitter handle on Friday, March 22, said whoever believed that he would pay money to Oputa, popularly known as Charly Boy, should have his or her head examined.

READ ALSO: Rerun: Why we suspended election in Brass constituency I - INEC

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

2019 elections: Do you still trust INEC to conduct fair elections? - Nigerians speak| - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel