UK police launch investigation as 5 mosques suffer attacks in Birmingham

UK police launch investigation as 5 mosques suffer attacks in Birmingham

- Five mosques have been attacked in the British city of Birmingham sledgehammer-wielding man

- The police confirmed that a sledgehammer-wielding man was seen smashing windows at two mosques and three other mosques were also vandalized

- The police are yet to know the motives for the attacks but vow to find whoever is responsible

Few days after the attack on two mosques in New Zealand, an unknown man attacked two mosques in Britain's second city Birmingham.

VOA reports that the sledgehammer-wielding man was seen smashing windows at two mosques in Britain's second city Birmingham, adding that three more have been similarly vandalized overnight.

The newspaper reports that the police confirmed the attack on Thursday, March 21, adding that counter-terrorism officers are already investigating the attacks.

READ ALSO: Tribunal orders INEC to allow Shehu Sani inspect election materials

Chief Constable Dave Thompson was quoted to have said: “We don't know the motive for last night's attacks.

“The force and the counterterrorism unit are working side-by-side to find whoever is responsible."

Legit.ng gathers that the police were first alerted in the early hours of Thursday to reports of a man smashing windows with a sledgehammer at one of the places of worship.

Following reports of a similar attack at another mosque in a nearby neighbourhood, officers launched targeted patrols and discovered "further damage" at two other sites.

A fifth mosque later reported that windows had been smashed.

"Forensic officers are working to identify evidence, and CCTV is being examined," the West Midlands force said.

In the aftermath of the deadly gun rampage at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, where several people were killed, British national police chiefs reportedly announced officers were providing patrols around mosques.

Anti-racism groups have warned that Islamophobia is on the rise in Britain and spurring a spike in far-right activity in the country.

A report released last month by the Hope Not Hate charity cited a poll which found more than a third of Britons see Islam as "generally a threat to the British way of life."

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the suspect arrested in connection to the New Zealand attack has since been charged to court.

Referred to as a white supremacist and Australian terrorist, 28-year-old Brenton Tarrant on Saturday, March 16, appeared in a New Zealand court for being the prime suspect of the Christchurch mosque shootings.

According to Agency report, more allegations will be instituted against Tarrant who is to reappear in court on Friday, April 5, alongside two of his accomplices who have been remanded in custody without plea.

The mayor of Christchurch, Lianne Dalziel, decried the unthinkable crime and expressed her heartfelt concern for the victims of the attack.

Dalziel said: “We have welcomed new people into our city. They are our friends, they are our neighbours. We want to come together to support them.”

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Nigeria News 2018: De-Islamisation - The New Trend In European Countries | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel