- The hijab crisis that rocked the University of Ibadan International School Ibadan is a crisis that the immediate past deputy vice chancellor of UI (academic), Abideen Adeyinka Aderinto, will not forget in a hurry
- Aderinto described the crisis as the most challenging period of his tenure
- The former VC was the chairman, Board of Governors of the secondary school
Professor Abideen Adeyinka Aderinto, immediate former deputy vice chancellor (Academic), University of Ibadan, has said the hijab crisis that rocked the international school in the institution was the most challenging period of his tenure.
The disclosure was made on Wednesday, March 20, at a reception held in Aderinto's honour by the department of Sociology of the university, Daily Trust reports.
Legit.ng recalls that some Muslim parents demanded that their daughters at the International School Ibadan be allowed to wear hijab.
Aderinto, who was the chairman, Board of Governors of the secondary school, said: “I have discharged my duties as assigned with diligence, integrity and I thank God that I finished in good health. I grew up in UI and the University of Ibadan is all I know. I will continue to contribute my quota to its development and greatness.”
Legit.ng previously reported that an Oyo state high court sitting in Ibadan on Friday, December 21, granted an application for extension of time filed by the University of Ibadan International School Ibadan (ISI) in a suit filed against it over ban on wearing of hijab by female Muslim students.
The suit was instituted by some Muslim parents on behalf of their daughters after an initial protest that led to the brief shutdown of the school.
Other respondents in the suit were the school principal, Phebean Olowe, the chairman, board of governors, Professor Abideen Aderinto and deputy vice chancellor (academics) of the university.
The Muslim parents that sued the school on behalf of their children are Taofeek Yekinni, Idris Badiru, Sikiru Babarinde, Muideen Akerele, Abdurrahman Balogun and nine others.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
At the resumed hearing of the suit on Friday, December 21, 2018, counsel to the respondents, Dr Babatunde Ajibade (SAN), informed the court that he was out of time in responding to the originating summon of the applicants. He said he had filed an application for extension of time and urged the court to grant his application.
The counsel to the applicants, Hassan Fajimite, said he was not opposed to the application for extension of time filed by the respondents’ counsel.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Adetutu Alabi Story: 'I Gave Up on Education Because I Was Bullied for My Tribal Marks' | Legit TV