Breaking: My assets declaration forms were tampered with - Onnoghen

Breaking: My assets declaration forms were tampered with - Onnoghen

- CJN Onnoghen's trial on alleged non declaration of some of his assets before the Code of Conduct Tribunal resumed on Monday

- Onnoghen told the tribunal that said a careful look at his assets declaration forms showed that they had been tampered with

- The embattled CJN is facing six counts of non-declaration of assets brought against him by the federal government

Justice Walter Onnoghen, the suspended Chief of Justice of Nigeria, has told the Code of Conduct Tribunal that his assets declaration forms before the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) appeared to have been tampered with.

Onnoghen disclosed this on Monday, March 18, during a court session in which his assets declaration forms were tendered.

Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), Onnoghen’s counsel, who disclosed this said the forms were in loose form and appeared to be tampered with adding that he would address the issues at the final stage.

READ ALSO: Nigerian man calls for bombing of Abuja mosque after New Zealand shooting

Earlier in the session, Aliyu Umar (SAN) who is leading the prosecution invited Akpala, senior investigation officer of the Code of Conduct Bureau into the witness box.

Akpala ‎who gave his testimony as the federal government opened its case against Onnoghen consequently tendered some documentary exhibits which were admitted as evidence.

The exhibits tendered by the witness were the petition written by a civil society group which informed the six counts preferred against the suspended CJN and two assets declaration forms (Forms CCB1) submitted by the defendant in 2014 and 2015, the Sun reports.

Meanwhile, in his ruling, the tribunal chairman, Umar, admitted the forms as exhibits with a caveat that the defence would have the right to address the issue in their final address, the news outlet added.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

Akpala had told the tribunal that on January 9, he got a call from his superior, Samuel Madojemu, who directed that he investigate a petition. He said case file was opened and investigation plan was drawn.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that Justice Tanko Muhammad, acting Chief Justice of Nigeria said that he was not aware of the suspension of Justice Onnoghen until he was called to the Presidential Villa.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Justice Muhammad said this in a response to the query issued against him by the National Judicial Council (NJC), on accepting to be sworn in as acting CJN without the approval of the NJC.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Onnoghen's Trial is Politically Motivated - APRJ | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel