Today it is difficult to imagine our life without sugar. This sweet crystalline substance is used everywhere and is produced worldwide in huge quantities. The raw material for its production is not only beets, but also sugarcane, and the percentage of the last one of industrial output is much higher. What are the benefits of sugarcane and is it harmful? We have revealed all the myths.
Sugarcane is a perennial grass, it belongs to the poaceae grass family with a long history of cultivation. However, in some countries sugarcane is grown throughout the year. It is the only source of sugar production in Africa and some Asian countries. India is considered to be the ancestral home of this plant. The warriors of Alexander the Great were the first to try the sweet plant when in the process of conquest the local introduced them to sugarcane.
Raw sugar cane is rarely used, only if you want to chew a natural gum. But in most cases, it is used as raw material for sugar production.
Brown cane sugar is considered to be a more natural product, unlike beet one. Crystalline sweet grains are obtained from the plant by multilevel processing. Cane sugar is regarded as one of the most ancient sweets of the East.
What are the health benefits of sugarcane?
Glucose contained in brown cane sugar is more qualitative, is useful for the brain and liver activity of the body and contributes to the energy surge in general. Such sugar is considered less harmful due to the content of plant fibres in it.
READ ALSO: Health benefits of guava leaves tea
Cane sugar is primarily a source of easily digestible carbohydrates. Without carbohydrates, it is impossible to synthesise ATP-substance, which is the source of energy for absolutely all biochemical processes occurring in the body. They are necessary for the brain. The metabolism in the nerve cells is provided only by glucose, the source of which can be sugar.
In refined cane sugar, there are practically no vitamins and minerals. Its benefit is only in providing the body with carbohydrates. But in brown sugar, which is not subjected to such purification, there are quite a lot of useful substances. It contains vitamins B, potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron and zinc.
Of course, with moderate usage of brown sugar, the body will not receive even a tenth of the recommended daily norm. However, the presence of vitamins and minerals in it makes it much more useful than refined white sugar.
What are the benefits of sugarcane juice?
You can also get juice from sugarcane by passing the stems through a mincing machine or press. This drink has unique properties that are beneficial to health.
What is its taste? It can be compared with sweet condensed milk or softened candies, and therefore it may seem too mawky. But if you add a few pieces of ice and squeeze the juice of lime, lemon or grapefruit in it, you get a delicious drink. In India, it is served with black salt and mint, and Brazilians mix it with juicy pineapple. It is also well combined with pomegranate fruits and freshly grated ginger root.
What is the benefit of sugarcane juice?
- Assistance in treatment. The drink is rich in antioxidants, therefore, helps to fight harmful microorganisms and improve immunity. It contributes to the rapid cure of colds and other infections, as well as the fight against fever.
- Natural energy drink. Sugarcane juice is rich in "good" carbohydrates, protein, iron, potassium, and other vital nutrients, making it an ideal energy drink. It accumulates in the plasma and body fluids and helps in the fight against dehydration and fatigue. A set of simple sugars and sucrose, which can be found in sugarcane, is easily absorbed by our body. It is an excellent charge of energy so that it can replace morning espresso. Besides, carbohydrates will create reserves that are used to fill the body's energy deficit.
- Home cosmetics. Sugarcane juice can be used as a cosmetic remedy. Glycolic acid present in its composition is a natural "cure" for skin problems. It helps get rid of acne, reduces redness and effectively smoothes the skin.
- Healthy mouth cavity and bones. It strengthens tooth enamel, prevents tooth decay, and eliminates bad breath. It happens due to the minerals in the composition of the drink, which is necessary for the proper construction and development of teeth and bones.
- Women's health. Folic acid (vitamin B9) in the composition of sugarcane juice is a component recommended for all expectant mothers. It protects the fetus from developmental defects, such as spina bifida. Moreover, it reduces problems with ovulation, helping to get pregnant.
- Benefits for the stomach, liver, and kidneys. The properties of this juice help to solve problems of the gastrointestinal tract. It is due to potassium, which restores the pH balance in the stomach and affects the secretion of digestive juices. Thus, it supports the natural process of regeneration and prevents gastric diseases and ailments. Mainly, it fights gastritis Talking about the liver, some scientists recommend using it as part of an addition to the treatment of jaundice and other problems of this organ. Sugarcane juice is a diuretic, which means that it helps treat urinary tract infections, kidney stones and ensure the normal functioning of this essential organ.
Thus, this drink is not only tasty, but also useful, both for the health of internal organs and for external beauty. Do not forget that this juice should be drunk moderately because any useful remedy can acquire negative qualities if you overdo it.
Benefits of sugarcane have recently become a real discovery for all who care about their health and beauty. It is rich in a wide variety of vitamins and minerals, and also has a pronounced sweet taste, which can be an ideal healthy alternative to sweets for people with diabetes and those who are controlling their weight.
DISCLAIMER: This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
READ ALSO: Benefits of dates with milk you should know