Breaking: Court terminates charges against late Alex Badeh

Breaking: Court terminates charges against late Alex Badeh

- Justice Okon Abang of Abuja division of the Federal High Court has terminated the charges filed by the EFCC against late former Chief of Defence Staff Alex Badeh

- Abang ruled that Iyalikam Nigeria Limited, the company which is standing trial with later Badeh, guilty of the charges

- The amended 10-count charge was, however, read and the plea was accordingly taken

The charges filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) against the late former Chief of Defence Staff Alex Badeh has been dismissed by an Abuja division of the Federal High Court

The court presided over by Okon Abang in its judgement on Monday, March 4, found Iyalikam Nigeria Limited, the company which is standing trial with late Badeh, guilty of the charges.

Premium Times reports that the court further ruled that all properties of the company in line with the 10-count amended charge should be forfeited to the federal government through the EFCC.

READ ALSO: Court reportedly nullifies PDP governorship candidacy in Kano

Abang said: “Having regard to the plea bargain and plea duly taken, I hereby find the defendant Iyalikam Nigeria limited guilty.

“The defendant is hereby wound up and this judgement shall be served on the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) for necessary action.

“All properties in line with the 10-count charge are hereby forfeited to the Federal Republic of Nigeria through the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

"In view of the fact that the first defendant in the original charge is reported dead, all charges against the first defendant are hereby terminated.”

During the court session, the prosecution counsel, O. A. Atolagbe, told the court that the matter was adjourned for the hearing of defence of the second defendant (Iyalikam Nig Ltd).

Atolagbe said: “This case was adjourned to today for the continuation of hearing, in particular to defence of the 2nd def, since the 1st def is deceased.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

“However, there is a development, the 2nd defendant and the prosecution have met and they have been able to reach an agreement and we have filed a further amended charge dated March 1 and filed March 4. We also filed a plea bargain agreement dated March 4 pursuant to section 279 of ACJA, 2015.''

In his ruling, Abang said: “Having heard the learned senior counsel representing the defendant and the prosecution counsel, it is hereby ordered as prayed that the further amended charge be read in open court and a plea entered.

"Since there has not been objection to the prosecution application, the further amendment charge filed today is deemed properly filed and served."

The amended 10-count charge was read and the plea was accordingly taken.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that Badeh, a former chief of defence staff in the Jonathan administration, was shot dead by gunmen last year in Nasarawa state.

The former defence boss was killed when his vehicle was attacked while he was returning from his farm along Abuja-Keffi road.

Woman who returned millions found at the airport speaks | Legit TV:

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel