It is no longer a big news that President Muhammadu Buhari's aspiration to be re-elected, having led for the previous four years, has come reality.
On Wednesday, February 27, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared him the winner of the keenly contested 2019 presidential election.
From Daura, the hometown of the president in Katsina state, to the pinnacle of Zuma rock, the people were celebrating.
Buhari cruised to a comfortable victory by garnering 15,191,847 votes from 19 states to leave other 72 presidential candidates, including his main challenger of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, behind with over three million votes. Atiku polled 11,262,978 votes.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng highlights 5 most important takeaways from President Buhari's acceptance speech, which was released few hours after the highly anticipated INEC declaration.
1. For whom much is given: President gave gratitude to those who deserve it
- First and foremost, I give thanks to Almighty God Who has spared our lives to witness another victory for Nigerian democracy and victory for our party APC.
- I thank the millions of Nigerians who voted to re-elect me as your president for the next four years. I am deeply humbled and profoundly grateful to you for judging me worthy of continuing to serve you and for your peaceful conduct.
- In particular, I would like to thank Asiwaju Bola Tinubu for his masterful leadership as co-chair of the campaign council. I would like to also thank the party chairman Adams Oshiomhole, the director general of the campaign council, Rotimi Amaechi, all members of the presidential campaign council and other various support groups.
- My grateful thanks to all those who contributed to the logistical expenses of the campaign in such a vast country like Nigeria.
- I also thank the millions of volunteers, self-appointed overseers, canvassers, agents, escorts and sentries who sacrificed so much of their time and resources to ensure the success of these elections. I do not have the words adequate to thank them.
2. President Buhari noted the fact that the election was marred by killing and violence
- Although Saturday’s elections were relatively peaceful, troublemakers in a handful of states attempted to disrupt an otherwise orderly process. Security agencies will bring to justice all those arrested in the process.
- I am very sad at the grievous loss of lives during these elections. Security agencies will step up their efforts to protect voters in the forthcoming State elections.
3. President Buhari also saluted the security agencies for the stance against violence during poll
- I would like to commend our security agencies, as severely overstretched as they are, for handling the difficult task of securing the country during the election period.
4. President Buhari extended olive of gratitude to election observers
- We give thanks also to our Domestic and International observers for contributing to the success of our elections and for their interest in our country and our developing democracy.
5. And the president to the next level agenda
- The new administration will intensify its efforts in security, restructuring the economy and fighting corruption.
- We have laid down the foundation and we are committed to seeing matters to the end. We will strive to strengthen our unity and inclusiveness so that no section or group will feel left behind or left out.
See the infographics of how the result stands:
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously highlighted the major quotes of the president (elect) that had arguably defined his government, and would forever go down in history as he won his re-election back to the Aso Rock presidential villa.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
2019 Election: Nigerians reveal what Buhari did to them| Legit TV