Attack on Osinbajo's convoy, height of recklessness - Abdulrahaman

Attack on Osinbajo's convoy, height of recklessness - Abdulrahaman

- The APC governorship candidate in Kwara, Abdulrasak Abdulrahaman, has described the attack on VP Osinbajo's convoy as the height of recklessness

- Abdulrahaman blamed the PDP for the attack which he said culminated in life-threatening gunshot injuries for APC supporters

- The PDP, however, denied the accusation; pointing out that it has been busy preparing for the elections and has no time for violence

- The party also urged security agencies to thoroughly investigate the matter and not arrest innocent people indiscriminately

The alleged attack on the convoy of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo in Ilorin, Kwara state, by suspected political thugs has been condemned by the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate in the state, Abdulrasak Abdulrahaman, who described the incident as the height of recklessness.

While briefing newsmen on Thursday, February 21, Rafiu Ajakaye, media aide to the gubernatorial candidate, accused the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) of masterminding the attack, The Guardian reports.

READ ALSO: Elections 2019: We won't interfere - China says

Legit.ng gathers that he said the attack, which occurred at Isale Aluko, a settlement at the heart of Ilorin, left many APC supporters with gunshot wounds.

He said: “We condemn the brazen attack today in Ilorin on the convoy of the vice president, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, by armed PDP thugs, culminating in life-threatening gunshot injuries to at least two of our supporters, while many others got seriously injured running for their lives.

“The vice president was at Isale Aluko suburb of Ilorin on a door-to-door campaign when some dare-devil gunmen opened fire at his convoy which included thousands of APC members and supporters.”

However, the Kwara state chapter of the PDP denied that its members and supporters were involved in the attack.

The party's publicity secretary in the state, Tunde Ashaolu, said the incident arose from the endless crises confronting the APC, and was an intra-party affair.

He pointed out that there had been no confrontation or crisis when Osinbajo visited Agbajo, home of Senate President Bukola Saraki, earlier.

Ashaolu added that it was when the VP got to Alanamu ward of Isale-Aluko, which is the base of two former APC governorship aspirants, Lukman Mustapha and Moshood Mustapha, who had been engulfed in a superiority war, that the crisis broke out.

He said: “It was also gathered that the money released to be shared among party supporters triggered the violence.

“Our party has no time for violence, as we have been busy preparing for the elections.

“Once again, we emphasise that the PDP has no hand in the fracas and we reject any attempt by the APC to link our party to the crisis. We advise them to resolve the lingering crisis in their party.

“We also urge security agencies to thoroughly investigate this matter and not to indiscriminately arrest innocent people who have no connection with this unfortunate incident.”

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that no fewer than five persons were allegedly killed on Thursday, February 21, at Bebeji local government area of Kano state when supporters of former governor of the state, Senator Rabi’u Kwankwaso and the former House committee chairman on appropriation, Alhaji Abdulmumuni Jibrin Kofa engaged in a bloody clash.

Eyewitness account revealed that the trouble started when Senator Kwankwaso’s convoy, while returning from a campaign rally, passed through an open space where Kofa and his supporters were praying for the peaceful conduct of the general elections.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Is Osinbajo a better president than Buhari? - on Legit TV:

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel