- The commissioner of police in Kaduna says the actual casualty figure of the attack on Kajuru village cannot be known currently
- The commissioner says the police is still carrying on its investigation into the attack on the village
- The police commissioner argues that professionally, it is wrong to dish out varying figures
Ahmad Abdurrahman, the commissioner of police in Kaduna state has deferred with Governor Nasir El-Rufai over the actual casualty figure which arose from the alleged recent attack on the Kajuru village on the eve of the rescheduled elections.
Legit.ng learnt that Abdurrahman said that the police was yet to conclude its investigation into the incident and as a result, it would not confirm any figure.
“Right now, if the governor tells you even 200, he is just quoting figures. It may be more than that or less than that. For example, the areas you have visited where we were told that 36 bodies were buried, It was not under the purview of the security at the beginning of the investigation until when the Fulani victims themselves came out crying after we have secured all the places with our military counterpart.
“They now approach the military that come and escort us to come and bury our relations. That was when it was uncovered.
“As I told the governor himself, I said figures in a crisis of this magnitude should be left until all investigations have been finished.
”All those areas we are getting information are covered. You cannot come up with a figure. You will come and say a figure and later you have to come and say it again. And this is what is happening. As far as police is concerned we are investigating and investigation is still at embryonic stage.
“By the time we reach all areas…as I’m talking to you now, my men are still in the bush, plus SEMA and other CSOs.
“That’s why professionally, we don’t come out with figures until when we are sure and concluded our investigation. So, you see that there is no reason to say this one said this figure or that one said this figure,” he said while warning that nobody should puncture the investigation.
There had been controversies surrounding the alleged attack with some groups doubting the governor’s sincerity and claiming that the figure may have been inflated.
El-Rufai earlier claimed that the incident resulted in 66 deaths. He later said the casualty figure had risen to 130.
Premium Times reports Shehu Sani, one of the senators from the state, as criticizing the claim that 130 people were killed.
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news updates
“What I found out about the killing is that it happened between Sunday and Monday. The figures for the death are within the range of 10 to 15. The state government exaggerated the figures and also timed the announcement of it in view of the fact that that place is remote and beyond the reach of many journalists,” he was quoted as saying.
Legit.ng earlier reported that the Kaduna state gubernatorial candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Isah Ashiru, recently urged the state government and security agencies to fish out and prosecute those involved in the killings of villagers in Kajuru area of the state.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.
'My daughter's husband used her for money rituals' - Nigeria Street Gist | Legit TV