- The INEC has denied report of third party's involvement in configuration of card readers
- The chairman of the electoral commission, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, said the configuration of smart card readers were done entirely by the officials of the commission
- Yakubu said the INEC has taken full responsibility and acknowledged the inconveniences and cost of the shift in dates
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said no third parties were involved in the configuration of card readers as being speculated by some politicians.
Channels TV reports that the INEC chairman said this on Tuesday, February 19, while responding to questions during a press briefing in Abuja.
Legit.ng gathered that the dispatching, white-listing, installation, upgrading of software, configuration of smart card readers were done entirely by the officials of the commission.
He said: “I want to assure the person who asked the question and assure the nation that no third parties are involved in the configuration of smart card readers of the commission.
“The dispatching, white-listing, installation, upgrading of software, configuration of smart card readers are done entirely by the officials of the commission.
"So there is no way any vendor outside can be involved in the configuration of our smart card readers. So, it is not true that anybody is involved in the configuration of the smart card readers in any way.
“This is entirely done by the commission’s IT under the supervision at state level of HODs ICT or some official from headquarters of the commission so there is no way any vendor can partake in the configuration of smart card readers.”
The INEC boss noted that the commission as of Monday, February 18, had achieved 95 per cent configuration of the 180,000 smart card readers and the process would be completed by Wednesday, February 20.
Professor Yabuku again offered his regrets over the postponement of the elections, saying the commission is working hard to ensure that the rescheduled elections hold and are free and fair.
He said INEC takes full responsibility and acknowledges the inconveniences and cost of the shift in dates. He thanked Nigerians and all election stakeholders for their understanding, despite the difficulties occasioned by the change.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Kebbi state, Ahmad Mahmud, said that some of the sensitive election materials meant for the Saturday, February 23 elections in Kebbi state were mistakenly taken to Kaduna state and those meant for Katsina were brought to Kebbi state.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Nigerians express disappointment with INEC over election postponement - on Legit TV