Although yam is called a sweet potato, it brings much more benefits to the body than its popular counterpart. Why is it so useful? What are yam benefits for health, skin and hair? Let's figure it out together!
What is a yam?
The yam is a root vegetable that first appeared in Peru and Colombia. Its second name is “sweet potato.” Outwardly, this vegetable is a thickened rhizome, a maximum length of 30 cm. Juicy and very tender flesh is covered with thin skin. On average, the weight of this root is about 300 g. Different varieties of yam differ in the color and shape of the pulp.
Nutritional value of yams
- Calorie yam (yam) is 61 kcal per 100 grams of product. Also:
- Proteins, g: 2.0
- Fat, g: 0.0
- Carbohydrates, g: 14.6
Importance of yam
Yam benefits properties are very diverse. So, thanks to the fiber content, it helps to prevent constipation and also absorbs excess acid.
Vegetable helps to cleanse the blood from cholesterol, and also normalizes blood pressure, improves blood circulation and makes the walls of blood vessels more elastic and thicker.
People with diabetes are allowed to eat yam, as due to the low glycemic index after eating a root crop, the sugar level remains unchanged.
It will be useful for people who smoke in their menu, as they lack vitamin A in their bodies, which can cause the development of various diseases. Regular consumption of root vegetables helps to cope with this problem.
There are yams, it is recommended for women who want to prevent premature aging of the skin and get rid of wrinkles. This is possible due to the rich content of beta-carotene in the root crop.
People who are often nervous in the body decreases the amount of potassium. To deal with this problem can sweet potato, which is considered an excellent antidepressant.
READ ALSO: Top 3 yam recipes in Nigeria
To add to your diet root vegetables need for people who play sports, as in this product are complex carbohydrates. Studies have shown that yam helps bodybuilders reduce pain and muscle spasms.
The benefits of yam
The benefits of yam for the health of the body is not questioned, because it contains many nutrients.
- Doctors recommend eating these fruits to people who have diseases of the digestive system. Also, the root is advised to use for the prevention and treatment of arthritis and some chronic diseases, and all due to the high content of beta-cryptoxanthin.
- Scientists have proven that regular consumption of yam helps reduce inflammation of nerve tissues and the brain. Doctors also recommend using Batat for the treatment of diseases of the stomach and intestines, as it contains a lot of starch.
- Since yam contains enough vitamins and minerals, it is undoubtedly useful for people who have a suspicion of developing a cancerous tumor. Due to the content of ascorbic acid, the product can resist free radicals that provoke the appearance of cancer cells.
- Also, the use of this product strengthens the immune system and further prevents the development of colds. But the tubers of the root are used to treat asthma.
- The yam is good for the heart and blood vessels. Since the root contains potassium, it helps to expand the walls of blood vessels and lower blood pressure.
- Regular consumption of the product helps to reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- Since yam contains minerals such as iron and copper, it facilitates the access of oxygen to the blood.
- If you rinse your mouth with yam juice, you can cure oral thrush, which occurs because of a lack of vitamin C in the body.
- Eating yam helps to strengthen the bones and also prevents the development of osteoporosis.
- Besides, this root vegetable can be added to the list of dietary products, so experts recommend eating it during the diet.
- In-home cosmetology, yam is used to prepare therapeutic face masks for acne, pigment spots and acne.
- Doctors recommend eating Batat to women who have reached the age of fifty because it contains phytoestrogens, which normalize the hormonal balance.
- Also, yam can be used for people who have diabetes, because it blocks the rapid entry of glucose into the blood.
- Specialists of alternative medicine advise drinking yam juice daily to get rid of hemorrhoids.
- Such a useful product is indispensable in bodybuilding because it contains a lot of carbohydrates, which are necessary for athletes. Usually, yam is eaten before the competition to increase muscle mass visually.
- Yam is used in home cosmetology for the preparation of therapeutic masks for hair and face.
Yam benefits for skin and hair
Another pleasant property of yam for women is that it helps maintain the beauty and youthfulness of the skin. Vitamin C, which is part of it, contributes to the production of collagen and has an antioxidant effect, due to which the skin retains its elasticity. And vitamin A, which is present in yam, helps the skin to regenerate faster. Try making a salad with yam and apple, not only to enjoy the taste but also to get the maximum benefit.
Due to the content of vitamin A and its interaction with receptors of skin cells, the amount of collagen in the body increases, which leads to an improvement in skin density, increase in its elasticity and smoothing wrinkles. As for the hair, the use of yam helps to accelerate growth and strengthen them.
Yam for weight loss
Yam is recommended to use for weight loss, since the starch contained in the yam has a low glycemic index, as opposed to ordinary potatoes. For this reason, yam can be eaten during a diet. Eating a sweet root contributes to rapid saturation due to the carbohydrates it contains, as well as the ability to reduce appetite. Also, the product contains fiber, which helps clean the intestines from toxins and toxins.
Yam benefits side effects
The harm of yam root is also possible in some cases. Since this root tends to irritate the mucous membrane of the digestive system, people with an ulcer or gastritis do not need to eat it. The use of yams to pregnant and lactating women is contraindicated.
Types of yams
At present, China grows about 100 varieties of yam! Most often, their names remain unknown, since the official varietal classification does not exist at all. In general, divided into vegetable, feed, and dessert. There are those that do not form vegetables but grow only the aboveground vegetative mass. They are raised in Japan.
What is the difference? First of all, the color of the skin (from white to copper-orange), the color of the pulp of the tuber (from white, cream to purple and apricot), and also the form: spherical (resembling a tomato) or elongated-fusiform (like carrots, which is more common).
READ ALSO: How to prepare yam porridge with tomatoes