- The presidential candidate of KOWA party, Sina Fagbenro-Byron, has vowed to set up an independent body to investigate the alleged missing $16 billion meant for electricity projects if he becomes president
- There were reports of alleged missing $16 billion meant for electricity projects during the administration of Olusegun Obasanjo
- The 2019 general elections will begin with the presidential election, which is slated for Saturday, February 16
Former president Olusegun Obasanjo has been penciled down for probe by the presidential candidate of KOWA party, Sina Fagbenro-Byron, who vowed to set up an independent body of investigators over the alleged missing $16 billion meant for electricity projects if he becomes president.
According to Fagbenro-Byron, the independent body of investigators will be given the power to reopen the alleged missing $16 billion meant for electricity projects during the government of Obasanjo, Daily Trust reports.
Legit.ng gathers that the presidential candidate also said all reports of corruption in the electricity sector would be checked so as to ensure effective prosecution.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the KOWA party asked the Nigerian judiciary to put its house in order over repeated allegations of corruption involving members of the bar and bench.
The party stated this in a statement sent to Legit.ng on Sunday, January 27, by its national publicity secretary, Habiba Balogun, in reaction to the suspension of the chief justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The party said the CJN who had admitted failing to properly declare his assets should be suspended or asked to resign by the National Judicial Council.
The party, however, described the suspension of the CJN as unconstitutional, arguing that the presidency had failed to stay within its bounds and follow due process.
Part of the statement read: “KOWA Party has observed with a growing sense of distress the circumstances that led to the unconstitutional suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria by the President on Friday 25th January, 2019.
“None of the leaders of the four estates are blameless. The executive has failed to stay within its bounds and follow due process. The legislature has failed in its oversight functions to call the judiciary to order when certain facts came to light. The media have failed in their investigative reporting to do the research and paint the full picture and clear up any confusion in the minds of the electorate, but the greatest failure is that of the judiciary.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
“The National Judicial Council (NJC) has the responsibility of ensuring that only upstanding judges serve in our courts. They have repeatedly failed to do so; and when facts emerged about the CJN’s failure to declare all his significant assets, they failed the country once again, by not acting to isolate the judiciary as a whole from his personal travails, thereby setting the scene for a clash with the executive, when they are fully aware of how high the stakes are and the pressure that this political season has placed on all the other arms of government.”
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
What has changed in Nigeria since the last election? | Legit TV