2 people feared killed at El-Rufai's campaign in Kaduna

2 people feared killed at El-Rufai's campaign in Kaduna

- Two lives were lost at Unguwar Mu'azu, a suburb of Kaduna metropolis, on Monday February 4

- The victims were said to have been killed when a fight broke out among youth gangs during Governor Nasir El-Rufai's re-election campaign

- An eyewitness says an innocent 22-year-old mechanic was one of the victims

Two people lost their lives at Unguwar Mu'azu, a suburb of Kaduna metropolis, as a fight broke out among youth gangs on Monday, February 4, when Governor Nasir El-Rufai went to the community for his re-election campaign.

Daily Trust reports that people started attacking one another few meters away from the ground when Governor El-Rufai addressed crowd at the primary school in Unguwar Mu'azu.

Legit.ng gathers that dangerous weapons like knives and machetes were used in attacking one another each other. Security agents and civilian JTF stationed at the venue were, however, able to disperse the gangs.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

An eyewitness identified as Baban Khalifa, said “We were inside the primary school premises venue of the campaign rally when we saw, from a distance, youths attacking one another. We heard that they were from Yan tsulhu and Ba tsulhu‎ rival groups.

“We started running away because of the way the youths were displaying knives and machetes, attacking one another. In fact, two people were killed during the clash."

Another eyewitnesses, who craved anonymity, gave the name of one of the victims as Salihu, a 22-year-old ‎mechanic in the area.

He said: “The gangs ended up attacking innocent people around because Salihu is not a member of any of the groups. He was just a mechanic."

Report has it that Yan tsulhu and Ba tsulhu rival groups usually terrorise residents within the state metropolis.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna state promised to pay traditional rulers and district heads security allowance which is expected to help them discharge their responsibility in gathering intelligence.

The governor spoke at a stakeholder’s meeting on Sunday, February 3, where he said the state ministry of local government affairs would come up with a template for payment of the proposed allowance.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

The governor also said his plan for every major town in Kaduna state is to make sure it “has a good school, good healthcare facility, electricity and potable drinking water".

He said: “When we assumed office, we found out that what local governments were paying district and village heads was nothing to write home about. In fact, ward heads were not paid anything. In some local governments, district and village heads had not been paid for several months because of lack of funds.”

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better

Controversy trails plans to evict Igbos from the north as El-Rufai blows hot | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel