There are many ministers in Nigeria responsible for a particular sphere of activities in the country, but who is responsible for culture and information in the country. Do you know who is the Minister of Information in Nigeria now and what his duties are? In this post, you will learn top facts you should know about the current Minister of Information in Nigeria and what he is responsible for.
Many people do not know who is the minister of a particular industry. But we have gathered for you the most important and most interesting facts about one of the ministers. Who is the Minister of Information in Nigeria? Let's find out.
Who is the Minister of Information and Culture in Nigeria?
The current Minister of Information and Culture in Nigeria is Honorable Alhaji Lai Mohammed.
Top facts about Alhaji Lai Mohammed
According to the information provided by the official website, the Nigerian minister was born on the 6th of December, 1951 in the community of Igbaja, which is located in Irepodun Local Government Area in Kwara State. His primary education began in the Native Authority Primary School in his hometown. Then Alhaji Lai Mohammed attended Government Secondary School in Kogi State.
The current head of Ministry of Information studied at the University of Ife in the period 1971-1976. There he was certified with a Bachelor Degree of Arts and the 2nd Upper Class in French. In 1985, Lai Mohammed received a Bachelor Degree of Law at the Lagos University.
Alhaji Lai Mohammed has accumulated significant experience in the political sphere, and only after some years, in 1990, he joined the Social Democratic Party. Seven years later Sir Lai Mohammed entered the National Democratic Coalition and became the director of Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu Campaign Organisation in 1998.
He became the Interim National Publicity Secretary of the APC, and afterwards, he was chosen as the substantive National Publicity Secretary. Alhaji Lai Mohammed was in that post till his election as Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
On November 11, 2015, Alhaji Lai Mohammed was sworn in by President Muhammadu Buhari as Minister of Information and Culture in Nigeria following his appointment and successful screening by the Nigerian Senate.
READ ALSO: How many ministers do we have in Nigeria?
The Minister of Information in Nigeria plays a vital role in the development of the entire state. There is a tremendous responsibility on his shoulders, namely mass media, publishing, and printing. Keep reading, and you will learn more about the functions of his power.
Duties of the Minister of Information in Nigeria
If you wonder what functions does the Minister of the Information perform, they are the following:
- implementation of state policy in the field of mass information, publishing, printing, distribution of printed works and media products, regulation, management and coordination of the activities of other republican government bodies, local executive and administrative bodies in this area;
- evolution and implementation of measures aimed at reforming the dynamic growth of the economy in the field of mass media, publishing, printing, distribution of published writings and media products;
- pursuing, on the basis of international treaties, a coordinated policy with the relevant authorities of the states in the sphere of mass media, publishing, printing works, and activities for the distribution of printed magazines and mass media products;
- organisation and growth of international cooperation in the field of mass information, publishing, printing, distribution of published papers and media products;
- the creation of a culture of mass media, the strengthening of the legal and professional fundamentals of the mass media;
- the establishment of organisations and individual entrepreneurs engaged in publishing and printing actions, the distribution of printed publications and mass media products;
- improvement of the management system in the field of mass information, publishing, printing, distribution of published papers and media products;
- development under the legislation of investment projects and their implementation.
Alhaji Lai Mohammed always tries to make our country better not only inside but also on the arena of international relationships.
Now you know who is the current Minister of Information and Culture in Nigeria and what functions he performs. Also, you have learned the top facts from his biography. It is always interesting to learn something new about the people who are at the helm in the country.
READ ALSO: Current ministers in Nigeria in 2018