Ex-NIA director Oke reportedly flies out of country ahead of EFCC trial

Ex-NIA director Oke reportedly flies out of country ahead of EFCC trial

- Ayo Oke, former director-general of the National Intelligence Agency, and his wife have reportedly left the country days before they are to face trial

- The former director-general is said to have flown out of the country for medical purposes

- Oke is due to be arraigned with his wife by the EFCC on corruption charges after the sums of $43 million, £27,000 and N23 million were recovered from a flat in Ikoyi

Ayo Oke, former director-general of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), and wife have gone out of the country days before they are to be arraigned before the court by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Oke and his wife are to face the court on corruption charges by EFCC on Friday, February 1.

However, it was gathered that he left for a European country “for medical reasons”, as there are also speculations that he may miss the court date, The Cable reports.

READ ALSO: Court rejects Shekarau's request to attend Buhari's rally in Kano

The corruption suit was as a result of the recovered sums of $43 million, £27,000 and N23 million from a flat in Ikoyi with the help of a whistle blower in April 2017 which NIA claimed ownership of, saying the money was meant for special operations.

The money was reportedly taken from the account of the National Petroleum Investment Management Services (NAPIMS) with the Central Bank of Nigeria CBN).

The vice president, Yemi Osinbajo, had said on Sunday, January 20, that Oke and Babachir Lawal, the former secretary to the government of the federation would face corruption charges.

An NIA operative who spoke with The Cable said that arraigning Oke before the court will endanger projects of the agency and will also put national security at risks.

The source said: “Most of the projects financed by NIA from the funds are aimed at gathering intelligence and these things are usually done through cash transactions. Government might have succumbed to public sentiments to treat it as a crime, but there will be dire consequences for the nation’s security operations.”

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) threatened to sue the federal government in 30 days’s time if it failed to prosecute Lawal and Oke over alleged corruption scandals.

The NGO, Human and Environmental Development Agenda Resource Centre (HEDA), in a letter sent to the office of the attorney general which was disclosed on Sunday, January 27, in Lagos, however, commended the government for the prompt prosecution of the chief justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, for non-declaration of assets before the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT).

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Former NNPC group managing director Andrew Yakubu in court over fraud allegations | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel