After Appeal Court's judgement, CCT sets date for continuation of Onnoghen’s trial

After Appeal Court's judgement, CCT sets date for continuation of Onnoghen’s trial

- CCT has set new date for the continuation of the trial of the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria Onnoghen

- Appeal Court had on Wednesday, January 30, ordered CCT to continue with the trial after rejecting Onnoghen's application

- In compliance with the order by the Appeal Court, the tribunal on Thursday, January 31, said it would continue sitting on February 4

Following the order by the Appeal Court, the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) has said it would resume hearing in the case of alleged false asset declaration brought against the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen.

Premium Times reports that Onnoghen was charged by the Code of Conduct Bureau for allegedly omitting details of his domiciliary accounts in one of two forms submitted to the bureau in 2016, among other offences.

Legit.ng gathered that the embattled former CJN has failed to appear at the two hearing sessions when the matter was called at the tribunal.

The tribunal chaired by Danladi Umar suspended the trial indefinitely at the last adjourned date on January 22.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

It was reported that on Wednesday, January 30, the Court of Appeal directed the tribunal to proceed with the hearing after refusing a request by Onnoghen for the trial to be suspended.

In response to the Appeal Court decision, the tribunal on Thursday, January 31, said it would continue sitting on February 4. The tribunal said its decision followed a request by the CCB for the case to continue.

“Conduct Tribunal fixes 4th February for resumption of alleged non-asset declaration trial against Hon. Justice Walter Onnoghen.

“Following Court of Appeal ruling yesterday on the trial against Chief Justice of Nigeria, Hon. Justice Onnoghen Nkanu Walter, on alleged non-declaration of asset before Code of Conduct Tribunal is hereby fixed for Monday, 4th of February, 2019.

“The decision was reached today sequel to a correspondent from Code of Conduct Bureau, applying for the resumption of trial of the case captioned; Application for resumption of trial of the case of FRN V. Hon. Justice Onnoghen Nkanu Walter Samuel case No: CCT/ABJ/01/19, addressed to Hon. Chairman Code of Conduct Tribunal, dated 30th January, 2019, jointly signed by Musa Ibrahim Usman (Esq) and Fatima Danjuma Ali (Esq).

“The above subject refers. This case came up for hearing of preliminary objection to the jurisdiction of the Tribunal on the 28th of January, 2019 but the Tribunal could not proceed due to the pendency of the case at the Court of Appeal,” the statement said, quoting the communication from the CCB.

READ ALSO: 2019: Governors from Niger Republic join Buhari’s campaign rally in Kano

It added that the latest request by the bureau is therefore in response to the recent ruling by the Court of Appeal.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Vice President Yemi Osinbajo reportedly met with a 12-man team of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) over the suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, where a 6-point resolution was conceived.

It was reported that the NBA team met with Osinbajo at the Presidential Villa to seek a soft landing for Onnoghen. The team was reportedly led by its national president Paul Usoro (SAN) and two former presidents.

A source at the NBA reportedly said the team was concerned about the manner in which the country’s legal system is being ridiculed.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Onnoghen's Trial is Politically Motivated - APRJ | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel