- The directive by the Nigerian Bar Association has prevented the trial of CJN Onnoghen at the the National Industrial Court
- Justice Sanusi Kado made this known after reading a letter from CJN's counsel, James Igwe, asking for a new date
- Igwe had claimed in the letter that his absence at the court was due to NBA’s directive to lawyers to boycott courts proceedings
The directive by Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), calling on its members to boycott the courts for two days, stalled the hearing of a suit challenging the trial of Justice Walter Onnoghen, NAN reports.
The suit, which is challenging the jurisdiction of the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT), was slated for hearing on Wednesday, January 30, in the National Industrial Court, Abuja.
Legit.ng gathers that the court had on January 14 granted an interim order brought via a motion exparte application against the Tribunal by Peter Abang, a lawyer and concerned Nigerian.
At the resumed hearing of the substantive suit, the judge, Justice Sanusi Kado, informed the defendant counsel, Abdullahi Abubakar, representing the Attorney General of the Federation that there was a letter from the claimant’s counsel before the court.
Kado also said the letter from the counsel, James Igwe (SAN), asked for a new date, adding that his absence was due to NBA’s directive to lawyers to boycott courts in protest of Onnoghen’s suspension.
The judge thereafter adjourned the matter until February 7 and directed that hearing notices should be served on all parties.
It would be recalled that NBA reached a resolution to boycott courts nationwide from Tuesday, January 29, and Wednesday, January, 30, after its National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting on Monday, January 28, in Abuja.
The NBA president, Paul Usoro, who made the announcement, said lawyers reached the agreement to express their displeasure over the suspension of the CJN.
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update
Onnoghen was suspended by President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday, January 25, over failure to declare his assets as required of every public servant by law. The president said he acted on a motion exparte order granted by the CCT, replacing Onnoghen with Justice Tanko Mohammed as acting CJN.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that some Nigerian lawyers had ignored the order by the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) warning them to stay away from the court following the suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The lawyers were reported to have ignored the order of the association to boycott courts amid protest trailing the suspension of the embattled CJN.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.
South-South governors condemn trial of CJN Onnoghen | - on Legit TV