- The Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Walter Onnoghen, takes the federal government to court over his suspension
- Onnoghen sued the government through Wole Olanipekun, Adegboyega Awomolo, Kanu Agabi and James Onoja
- Among Onnoghen's four grounds of appeal, he wants the court to rule that the CCT order is null and void
The embattled Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Walter Onnoghen, has reportedly sued the federal government for suspending him over issues relating to the declaration of his assets.
Onnoghen did this through his counsels, Wole Olanipekun, Adegboyega Awomolo, Kanu Agabi and James Onoja, according to The Cable.
The report said Onnoghen’s appeal was based on four grounds in which he wants the court to rule that the CCT order against him is null and void.
“The chairman and a member of the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) erred in law and violated the right of the appellant (Onnoghen) to a fair hearing when they made the order ex parte that he (Onnoghen) shall step aside as CJN and chairman of the National Judicial Council over allegations of contravening provisions of the Code of Conduct and Tribunal Act Cap C15 laws of the federation 2004 pending the determination of the motion on notice dated January 10, 2019,” the appeal read partly.
Legit.ng earlier reported that the Senate approached the Supreme Court for an interpretation of the powers of the president in the appointment and removal of the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), with respect to the roles of the upper chamber of the National Assembly and the National Judicial Council (NJC) in the entire process.
It was learnt that the Senate, which held the view that it had been undermined in the entire process by ‘criminally usurping’ its powers, approached the Supreme Court for a timely interpretation.
It was also reported that the federal government gave more reasons why Justice Walter Onnoghen was suspended.
The government said the decision to suspend Onnoghen was due to the ex-CJN's abuse of judicial processes.
The government's position was made known in Abuja by the minister of information and national orientation, Alhaji Lai Mohammed on Monday, January 28.
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news updates
Alhaji Mohammed said: "This whole issue is about the country's highest judicial officer, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, being accused of a breach of the Code of Conduct for Public Officers, and the legal and moral conundrum surrounding that.
''It is about the Hon. Justice Onnoghen himself admitting to the charges that he indeed failed to follow the spirit and letter of the law in declaring his assets, calling it a ‘mistake'."
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.
Presidency, Nigerians give their thoughts on the fight against corruption| Legit TV